1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Basses I Should Try Out?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dubadays, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    I'm heading down to a bigger city than the one I live in (because my city has only one music shops and it sells really crappy basses:p) on Saturday to hopefully decided what I'm finally going for. These are some of the basses I'm going to be looking for:
    Fender Jag
    Fender P
    Fender Jazz (As many variations as I can get my hands on)
    Rickenbacker 4003
    MM Stingray
    MM Bongo
    So, I play in a high school jazz band, which I use electric on the funk, fusion, rock, and latin tunes. I also play in a rock band that plays stuff like Incubus, Arctic Monkeys, Ozzy Osbourne, Wolfmother, etc....So, based on what I play in:
    1. Which of the six basses I listed would be best for my purposes?
    2. Are there any other basses possibly suited for my needs?

2. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    honestly all those basses listed are awesome for your music as well as many others. i think its all a matter of taste so try everything that looks good to you

3. I always vote for used Peavey USA and keeping the money in the bank.

4. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Any other recommendations for me to try out?

5. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    lol, I'm actually looking for the best I can get. This bass has to last me quite a while

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Warwicks. Try out some 'Wicks.

And keep trying Jazzes! Geddy, 70's, Squiers, Aerodyne, Marcus Miller, etc., etc. They are great basses.

7. i'd say get either the stingray,jazz,or the 4003.which ever you like the most out of them

8. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Is the Jaco worth trying? It better be, that thing is a work of art.

9. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Lakland! More specifically a 4402/5502. ;)

10. a jaco is fretless. plus uber exspensive. my vote would be either a geddy or the jag

11. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Jacos run around 4 grand, IIRC. Out of your price range.

Buy a Geddy, MIA, or Marcus Miller Jazz and upgrade it to your likings.

12. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Really? I saw one on Fender's website for around $2700 I thought.

13. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    i'd definitely try both the MM's out. I own a stingray and i love it. the bongos that i've played on were fun too. really good sound out of the both.

i've been GASing over Spectors right now...you can find the Signature Classic or Signature Customs for really cheap, and they're pretty nice. played a few today through some of the new hartke hydrive cabs and i almost crapped my pants at how awesome the two were haha

if you can get your hands on a peavey cirrus(used of course - new are close to 2k if not more) give it a go. i'm in love with those things.

but play on as much as you can. always the best way to do it :)

J

14. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Cirrus-410-stand005307x460.

All of the basses you listed would be great for your style of music. But don't be too quick to forget about the suggestion of a USA Cirrus. I have had 2 of them for almost 8 years now. They are serious basses.

15. Just try what they have. Most music stores don't have an unlimited supply of brands. Just pick up what looks interesting to you. Hard to say "try a Cirrus" if they don't have any. (nice basses btw. :) ) At any given music store visit I usually only find a handful of basses that I want to try. They tend to be overrun with lower-end Ibanez and MIM Fenders here.

16. Try the Yamaha Rbx's they totally worth double triple what you pay them!!!!!

17. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    You don't mention a budget. Some of those basses you listed range in price from $400.00 to $4,000.00. A Rick 4003 is going to cost you $1,950.00 new and nobody deals on them.

Set a budget first. Then decide what basses you can afford. That being said you can't go wrong with an active Fender Jazz, a Musicman Stingray or Sterling or a G&L. Any of those will cost somewhere in the $1,500.00 to $2,000.00 range new depending on options of course.

18. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    As I've mentioned to you, I have a pretty low end Ibanez, and I'm not really wanting another one :D

19. Dubadays

Dubadays

Apr 4, 2009
    Yeah. I'm looking at max probably $3000, but that all depends on my hours for lifeguarding this summer. Minimum I'll have a budget of $2000

20. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    www.peavey.com
    build yourself a cirrus.
    win.