Any basses with baseball bat sized necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryanl, Mar 28, 2005.

1. ryanl

Mar 28, 2005
    I've been playing on an Ibanez soundgear for the past few years and the neck on it has finally gotten to me. While they are good basses for people with smaller hands, my huge gorrilla hands end up getting sore after playing on it for an extended period of time.

Does anyone out there have a $1000 range bass with a nice fat neck?

EDIT... More info... :)

I want a bass that can be versitile but the warm sound is really whats the most important to me. I'm NOT the biggest fan of warwicks sound for instance.

I have looked at fender jazzes and stingrays. While these both have decen't sized necks, I'm curious as to if the there is a bass that is for large hands that is what the ibanez fastnecks are to people with small hands.
    Edit/Delete Message
  2. See the Jack Casady bass thread. BIG neck. Or a big C necked Precision.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Warwicks have MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSIVE necks. Finding a used one for under $1000 shouldn't be too hard.
  4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    What kind of sound are you looking for? How many strings, what kind of bass do you like in general? What kind of music will it be used for? This info will help us help you bud.
  5. AlexL

Jul 20, 2004
    +1 on the Warwicks. Real Louisville territory.

- E.
  6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Warwick gets there neck from Louisville Slugger!!!!!!! Just don't have the label facing the wrong way, you might crack the neck!!
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Warwicks. Spector 5s.
  8. sal paradise

sal paradise

Aug 12, 2004
    spector, fender p or deluxe p, G&L L-2000, a skyline lakland perhaps...
    I don't think warwicks are the tone he's going for.
  9. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I wouldnt call Lakland Skyline necks baseball bats at all.....
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Warwicks are comfy baseball bats.
  11. I have a fretless Rebop 5 & I wish it was wider, but it's fairly thin front-to-back. I certainly wouldn't call it a baseball bat.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think certain years were thick and certain werent. Spector is always changing neck sizes.
  13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Fender Sting Signature
    Any Gibson
  14. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
  15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Great list!!
    Is it really that you are experiencing pain? I would rule out any possibility that your discomfort is technique related, but I can certainly understand you wanting to lose the Ibenhad for something with more beef. I have basses with pretty different neck sizes and profiles none of them cause any more discomfort than the others.
    For that price you could slap a nice Warmoth together to your liking, they might even build you a neck with a bit more "junk in da trunk"...
  16. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Original Steinberger (carbon fiber).

Batter up.

Besides, it even might double as a Cricket bat in a pinch, and you certainly wouldn't even risk hurting it.
  17. Dr Stankface

Dr Stankface Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'd have to say a used Warwick. I find their necks to be just god awful. Along with everything else about them. Lol. That's just me though.
  18. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My godin SD is pretty chunky actually. Its not huge but,pretty big.
  19. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    As much as I love Spector they aren't warm, so you probably won't dig them, although the necks are good and chunky. There are a few builders in the mid $1000's range that could make a chunky bassed neck to your specs too.
  20. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    oh yea, I forgot: