1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any basses you can buy new that will be worth more later?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chopperace1, Mar 11, 2008.

1. chopperace1

chopperace1

Mar 2, 2008
    Maybe some of the Fender signature basses 20 plus years from now?

2. I don't think there are any current Fenders you can buy now that will be worth a whole lot in twenty years. Unless you get someone famous to touch it. A lot.

3. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    Someone mentioned that the brand new American Standard basses from Fender will be worth a bit in 20 years, just because QC will start slipping again and the current line is top-notch.

My info could be flawed though, so who knows?

4. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Any Dingwall.

5. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    certain boutique basses will. I am not sure which ones though :/

6. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    fender squier......... oops i mean erm......... sod it i'm in to deep now i stick with my answer

7. The ones that are no longer being made and/or made out of woods that are extinct.

8. I wish that was the case with my ABI :eyebrow:

9. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    +1
    Or you can buy a Rickenbacker. They hold value quite well.

10. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    You resold it too quickly. :)

11. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I think buying a bass as an investment is probably not worth it, but if I were pressed to give an answer, I'd say maybe an EBMM BFR or Limited Edition/Anniversary bass or maybe a smaller boutique bass (Dingwall ;) :D ).

12. If it was predictable enough to be used as an investment, then basses would be traded on the stock market.

I think it will have little to do with build quality. The greatest luthier in the world could be building the best basses in the world right now, but if he's so obscure that hardly anyone knows him in 80 years, then he will not sell well. As for collecting fenders... I think they are being made in too great of numbers now. Everyone knows about them, I wager there's more than a few people with 10 in the closet just hoping in 30 years it pays off.

Just look at "collectible" industries to see how Bass investment will be. A few baseball cards are worth millions in the 80's, so the amount of cards produced skyrockets. Effectively making them worth less than the paper they are printed on. Comic books also did the same thing in the 90's, you got people collecting them to pay for their kids college in 20 years or so... so many were made that they are worth dirt.

My idea for what will sell? Something that there seems to be 1000's of, but has a distinguishing feature as compared to what's being hoarded. Musicman used a variety of woods under their paint in the early 90's. Maybe they find out that only 1 out of every 300 musicmans were made of a particular wood, that certainly separates it out.

Stuff like that.

13. steve21

steve21 Banned

Ridiculously morbid, I guess, but when Michael Tobias passes I bet his basses will hold better in the used market than they do now.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I always think the same. The man is a legend.

15. steve21

steve21 Banned

Also, I suppose when Roger retires (I'm sure the shop will continue, and be in very very adept hands), people will be beaming about how much better "Roger" era Sadowskys were over the "Post-Rog"

16. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Okay, here's a sure-fire way to ensure that you buy a bass today that will be worth A LOT MORE in 20-plus years.

In fact, it's FOOL-PROOF! Simple, too!

Here it is: BUY ONE OF EVERYTHING. That's it.

Buy one of every Squier, Fender, Gibson, Epiphone, Dean, Hamer, Washburn, etc. Essentially "corner the market," having one of everything. It's almost certain that ONE Of them will be worth a great deal more.

Since it's IMPOSSIBLE to tell what's going to hit the public bass-playing fancy, of course, you'll need to do it this way. No one buying those "vintage" instruments 'way back when thought "hey, man, this is gonna be a great investment!"

They just wanted to play.

UP NEXT: HOW YOU CAN MAKE BIG MONEY IN THE STOCK, BOND AND REAL ESTATE MARKETS! SURE THING! MILLIONS MADE IN MERE MONTHS!

17. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

My EBMM Bongo Dargie Delight. It's a limited edition that won't be repeated anytime soon.

18. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If you get a brand new Carl Thompson, it will go up in value as soon as you get it in your hands.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Yep. Carl Thompsons will appreciate quickly. If they start making Wals again, they will also appreciate more than most other makes.

20. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    With regard to your avatar: God is good!