Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any bassist/cellists out there?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Jeff Bonny, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Recently got an NS Designs electric cello. I'm quite captivated by the thing but am struggling to hear in my head what the thing is capable of. Anyone gone through this and/or have any recommendations on recordings of improvising cellists playing pizz and arco?
    Thanks.
    jeffb

2. Anonymous75966

Anonymous75966

Jun 29, 2004
    yo jb -

Check out Tom Cora's recordings with Curlew or The Ex.

Eric Friedlander has a few recordings on John Zorn's Tzadik label and also appears on quite a few Zorn projects.

Ernst Reijseger from the Clusone Trio - 'Love, Henry' or 'I am an Indian' on Ryko / Gramavision.

Peggy Lee (from Vancouver) is awesome in every way.

Paradox Trio's Rufus Cappadocia is a really impressive player, with a more 'electrified' sound than the four above.

Something totally different: Frances-Marie Uitti's 'Uitti 2 bows,' on the Dutch label BVHAAST. Droney new music / experimental improv; all acoustic even though it sounds like minimalist electronics.

howzat?

cheers. dc

3. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks! Being from Vancouver I've heard Peggy Lee but the others are new to me. I'll look for 'em.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I think some other bassists that appeared on cello (some tuned in 4ths) are:

Red Mitchell
    Oscar Pettiford
    Ray Brown (!)
    Ron Carter (move the coffee cup away from the edge of the desk)

5. There's at least one recording of Mr. Heath on cello with the Heath Brothers, maybe more.

Roger

6. Gideon Freudmann plays some good stuff. Not what I expect from a cello. His site, with sound clips.

7. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    wow.
    I like it. Thanks!