Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any bassist using rack switchers?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by haujobb, Sep 19, 2005.

1. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I'm working out a deal for a DMC GCX and Ground Control, should be a nice addition to the rack. Any other bassists out there that using midi switching systems?

2. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    imho their a bit overkill, unless you're having a midi amp or preamp( ADA... or sansamp PS1 for example) and running a lot of rack compressors, FX and so on, but for my use it would be overkil, the patching problems would be a breeze tought and the cable lengt dramaticaly reduced!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I know a few famous people use them, i.e. Chris Chaney and rackmounts all his pedals.

However, I've tried a setup like this and prefer to stomp my own boxes and have adjustment at my toes.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Great thread topic. I've always liked the idea of them, I saw Tony Levin's rig and he has two drawers of pedals in his rack, where they stay protected, and his settings are protected. Seems to me it would mean a much quicker, cleaner setup.

I can't tell you how many times a bandmember or soundman has stepped on my pedalboard by mistake when setting up pre-show. Not only messes up my settings, but one time it counter-sunk the internals of one of the pots on my Akai Deep Impact, and THAT isn't easy to find parts for. I'd really like a simple solution, if it wasn't too expensive.

Anyone know how much those switchers go for, or does anyone have any links where I can check out the specifics of application. Thanks.

5. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    They start as low as $400 and go up to at least $2000, and that's just for the switcher, the controllers can cost twice as much...

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Nah, you can get a used (in good condition) GCX for $300 and a GCP for $350. Budget another $100 for the patch cables and MIDI and you're set up for $750.

I have a full racked system for guitar, but just use a Bass PODxt Live plus PLX1602 for bass. I don't use pedals with bass.

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i had a rack setup for a brief period. while it is convienient, to some extent, its really a hassle. i got so turned on to the idea because of chris chaney and greg edwards. so i went and bought a 10 space shock rack, 2 rack shelves, all the proper cables, a few more pedals so i could use all the switches on my GCX, teh GCX rack unit and ground control. about a month or so later i sold the whole lot minus the rack case. i found teh GCX ground control to be very difficult if you wanted to switch one pedal off and another on. that is, unless you programed it do that. also, i special ordered 4 ft cables so i could run my pedals in my rack and to be honest half the time the cables were so tight that i couldnt even pull the rack shelf out. not to mention running power supply cables and all sorts of other things.

lets put it this way, you really need to consider your situation before doing this. if youve got a bunch of vintage pedals and you dont knob twiddle, then do it. but get someone to help cause its a pain in the ass otherwise. but if you have relativley newer pedals (not to mention cheaper) then just go to the floor with them. you can buy a pre made or a custom made pedal board from various websites that come with true bypass swtiching and removeable tops for a fraction of the price you pay for a rack set up. and really, it does the same thing.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I had everything racked for a little while, using the same DMC system you're looking at. I got to where I wasn't using many effects in my regular gig, so I took a few key pieces out, and left them on the floor. There's not much I'm doing now that requires multiple units going on and off simultaneously (my #1 reason for buying the system, along with regularly playing a TINY stage), so I took it all apart. I may go back that way in the future, but if I do, I'll defintely pick up the Ground Control Plus or Rocktron All Access. I really don't like the original GC, but it was free, so I can't complain.

9. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    What can the GCP do that the GC can't, the system I'm looking at only has a GC but if it serves my needs then I might still get it.

10. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i dont have anything useful to say other than i always get all GOOGLY-eyed when i pass by a G-System box at a music store, even when i know i'll never get one, or ever put it to use.

i think its around $1000?

11. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Well the switches on the GCP are the 'button' switches, no like the GC which has the older DOD type switches. That and there is more programing capability. That's it really. Or, rather, that's about all i noticed.

12. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I have two rack set-ups that use switchers and I love them!! Both racks have Digital Music Corp GCX switchers.I use a Digital Music Corp Ground Control Pro foot controller for one rack and a Custom Audio Electronics RS-10 foot controller for the other.

John

13. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    That is the major advantage I see of the GC+ over the GC I have. You can switch it back and forth between operating the standard way, like the GC, or operating each loop individually. Instead of storing the same patch over, minus one loop, you can just turn it off quickly.

14. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    If you simply want to switch multiple loops on and off at the same time, the GC will do fine. If you want to control all eight loops individually, you'll either need to do ALOT of programming on the GC, and probably more tap dancing than you'd do if the effects were all on the floor, or spring for the GC+

15. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
  16. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  17. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    I was hoping to be able to switch all 8 loops as well as change presets on a multieffect, so maybe I'll just pick up the GCX for now and save for a GCP...

18. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Situations like that, it's best just to save for the bigger fish.

19. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    But this unit allows you to change the order of your loops - as far as I know none of the other does that.

20. lsdn

lsdn

Sep 6, 2003
    padova (italy)
    that's true; the Switchblade also allows you to create presets with multiple loops connected in series and in parallel , with a big lot of combinations.