Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Beagle owners?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, Sep 27, 2005.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Since Hurricane Katrina, we've adopted a 2 1/2 - 3 year old Beagle. All efforts by us and others to contact the names and phone numbers on his tags have been fruitless, and he doesn't have any tattoos or chips or anything for identification, so it looks like he's going to be ours now. Anyone else on TB have a Beagle? If so, do you know of anything that can be put in thier diet or anything to tame the odor they have about them? Or am I just going to have to bathe him every 2 or 3 days and stock up on the Liquid Plumber?

2. I have a beagle at home. They're great dogs.

We've never really had a problem with the dog stinking up the place. It seems that because beagles are so typically kept outdoors, most beagles people come in to contact with don't smell that great. Ours smells pretty much like any other dog, and we only give her a bath every couple of weeks. Maybe she's the exception to the rule, but that's just my experience. In any case, sorry I couldn't help more.

Good luck!

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Adron i am sure you will give the Pup a great home ! You just might want to stock up on ear plugs , Beagles have a certain pitch to their bark that can be maddening but other then that they are beautiful animals with great friendship potential. :)

4. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Try feeding him more dry dog food and less meat. A lot of meat makes some dogs smell real bad. Beagles are great dogs, mine is the happiest creature I've ever seen. They are very much pack animals and love company. They need a fair bit of exercise too, fat beagles always look miserable to me.

5. This is important to keep in mind. Beagles love to run, but they also love to eat - try to stay pretty strict with the diet, rather than letting the dog indicate when it is hungry. That strategy works for a lot of dogs, but my dog would absolutely gorge herself if we adopted that policy.

6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    So far we've been taking him walking three times a day, and once all the hurricane debris is picked up, I'll be able to run outside rather than on the treadmill, so I'll take him with me then, too.
    So far he hasn't developed an odor, and I guess I could be stereotyping from the Beagle we had in the past, and others I've been around at friends' houses and such.
    Kevin, that noise certainly is aweful! The only thing I can equate it to was when we had a little pot-belly pig. He made probably the single worst sound I've ever heard in my life when he was picked up or scared.
    Kabong, we haven't given him much, if any meat yet, which may attribute to him not smelling so far. When we had one in the past it ate the same foods our dobermans ate, and since we showed them, they got lots of meat and rice. All of them were outside dogs then, too.
    Tim, I'm a firm believer in keeping dogs on a pretty strict diet! I've got a friend with a female Rotweiler that looks more like a big potato. She's well over 200lbs, probably closer to 220. She was always a big dog, but it wasn't until his dad remarried and the step-mom started feeding the dogs 24-7 that Sadie blimped up.

7. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004

I usually take my dog ( he's a little dog ) for bike rides so I can be lazy while the dog has to run two miles. :smug:

If it's any consolation I do it after football practice.

But, yeah, you could try to use a bike to take him for runs and take him for farther distances. It depends on how much you trust your dog though because he could just pull your bike over. :meh:

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My dog is half Beagle. Here are some Beagle tips. Most important - you can't let a Beagle off leash outside, they will take off after a scent and get lost. It's bred into them. Great dogs.

9. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Beagle bark.
    Yipes, it's loud for the size.
    Startling.
    Can hear them clearly from 500 yards.
    Bred that way so Hunter's can trail.

Vet told me that beagle's anal glands have to be checked
    every once and a while.
    More then an 'average' dog.
    Ours just had one clog-up and had to be drained.

Beagles have (what I call) an 'eating disorder.'
    They will eat themselves fat.
    Small portions in the morning and evening are best.
    Do not leave food out all day.
    They love treats.
    When you give them a treat make sure it's just a crumb.
    It's not so much the amount of food, but the pack interaction
    of the Alpha (you) sharing food.

If beagles have an odor, it's mostly from "Funk Ear."
    Making sure the ears are clean will eliminate most of it.

[​IMG]

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    My friend's girlfriend has a beagle that is the most hyper dog I've EVER seen. He makes me wish they made ritalin for dogs. He's fricking nuts!

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Try cohabitating with a bassett hound....

Definatly keep and eye on the ear funk...

12. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hows the Pup working out Adron?, have you given up looking for its former home and owners?

13. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Ooooooooohhh yeaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!! When they're young they are lunatics. Mine's nickname as a pup was Kap'n Kaos. They seem to grow out of it but up to about two years they are the most hyper and relentless dog I've ever encountered. Have a look in the local pet classifieds and you see it all the time ' For Sale - beagle, 1 year old, lovely nature, great with kids.....', always makes me smile!