Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any berklee cats out there?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chris griffiths, Sep 12, 2002.

1. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    yo my names Chris griffiths just seeing if there are any berklee students or faculty or alumni infiltrating this website feel free to email me at cgriffiths@berklee.net, or message me
    aol instant messenger: andamicrophone
    yahoo messenger: captainspirge

Later

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Seeing as I only attended the short Basslines program 2 summers ago, I dont think I qualify, but I'll post here anyways.

Peace
    Nick

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    People would be more likely to respond if you mentioned what you want.

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would have been sooo happy to be a Berklee student.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Ditto. '84-85.

6. Cheaper ones, too. Places like Oberlin or Ithaca College are usually a little more liberal with the financial aid than Berklee is.

7. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    I like Berklee because they don't teach taste. For instance I'm not a jazz musician and I get a 4 point here. when I went to new school there was no way I could swing that.

8. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    you can talk down to me all you want man if it makes you feel better maybe I'm being reached better here because not all the examples are ancient pieces of music so I can relate to it better. Maybe unlike many of the faculty at other music schools the berklee faculty has no problem drawing connections between recent pop music and older jazz because they don't have this snot nosed "sacred" attitude thing that most you jazz snobs have.

9. 1) What?:confused:
    2) Whatever
    3) Hmmmm...

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    :rolleyes:

#1: Watch the potty mouth, kiddo.

#2: Instead of creating a new thread generating even more confusion, you should simply have posted a reply in your original thread. I will merge them so that people will know what the heck you're talking about.

#3: What the heck are you talkng about?

11. Summer of 87.
    Jim Stinnett hangs out here.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ...got my first real six string...played it 'till my fingers bled.....

sorry

13. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hey

Ok, I went for 2 semesters Im taking this one off and I will be back in the spring.Im 34 years old.I picked up the bass at 15 jammed with freinds till 20 started little bands till 23. One got Regionally big and I worked that till 29 then Started playing Blues gigs. My mon is a NEC grad in education my god father was head of the Umass Boston Jazz dept for 30 years.

Eds first comment

If you want to be a jazz musician, and can play, there are other better alternatives

This is true if you can allready play well enough in the Genre of of your choice to work.you should get out there and Work youll learn more and mabye even get payed to do it.
    The college route there are Plenty of other /cheaper colleges offer jazz performance options in Mass/Boston one of the Big ones is Umass Amherst (3000$ a semester. great faculty .five college association so you can take classes at any of these).

top reasons why I love Berklee

1) They let me in! no joke I barely made it through high school and would never consider taking the SAT's.

2) no accademic classes (see above)

3) Many Many other students needing bass Players for the Jams at night. (more oppertunities to play than you could possible do)

4)Huge mix of ensemble genres to gain "some" oppertunites in styles you want this is important to me, Ive allways practiced many styles at home but never had much oppertunities to play them with others.

5)They consider the Electric bass a valid intrument.

top reasons for hating berklee

1) Cost, it is way too much. out of control. rediculous.

2) If you allready can play a style well stay out of the ensembles of that style usually your biting your tongue cause somebodys butchering it.

3) Many Many Jokers that are going to be flipping burgers in Four years

4)The level of practice it take to maintain a 4.0 is about 1/3 of the amount you should be practiceing if you want to be a professional working musician

Ok so why do I go and what's my plan?

I wanted to get my playing to a more compitant "Proffesional level". the amount of "someone throws a chart in front of me and I read it down and have to nail it" practice I get is great . my reading is pretty solid these days .

2 genres of music where Ive found it difficult in the "real" world to gain real expirience are Gospel and Latin Jazz.there are gigs for the competant pro but to get some friends together to play gospel or latin Jazz is impossible .this is my main consentrations now

To get enough credits to be a tranfer student to Umass amherst where my consitration will be Playing Jazz on the Upright.

Bottom line is you get out of it what you put into it.

sorry about the spelling

AJ;)

14. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    I play classical, where does that put me? hah.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I think that makes you a "classical snob"...you know, as in, "Simply fail to remember that fecal material and perform music on your desired instrument!" :)

16. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Hey I just read my post yesterday and I wanted to apologize to the readers because I was a little out of line. I kinda hold my ground but I didn't have to come across like that and I didn't mean to start a new thread I'm kinda new at this. I kinda have an issue about people being condescending to me so my reply came off more out of spite then actual input

when I say that Berklee does not teach taste I mean that it does not teach you what to listen to. it does not say "this music is better then this music" granted to teach general music concepts you have to reach across genre's to gather a example of that. Like it's hard to teach someone the concept of a blues without playing them the blues or certain chord progressions without pulling out songs like I got rhythm, Blue bossa, or So what. and I have sat in classes where we were talking about music and jazz and things and a kid would bring in his sex pistols album and we'd listen to it. and I've never heard a berklee teacher knock the music when something like that happens. I've never heard anyone say that jazz or classical or steely dan type music (not really a category for them I suppose, at least nt one I can write without hyphens) their always very encouraging about listening to new things. Hell yesterday I had a lines class where we went over Waltz for debby followed by a lab where we talked about bill laswell and Jah Wobble from joy division. You know so I appreciate Berklee's open minded approach. I was told by 2 other schools to give up the electric bass and pursue classical guitar as a full time activity because one is detrimental to the other. I like that Berklee lets me do both.

so all and all Berklee reaches me because the music I play and the music I study is music I love and not just examples. and sometimes I don't like the music right away but the more you dissect it the more I see. I love that in a class we can relate george clinton to duke ellington or we may listen to chet atkins, dream theater, Jimmy blanton, Niels Hennig Peterson, and the mighty mighty bosstones all in one sitting.

Oh yeah and the worst thing about berklee is by far without contest

the food

17. I guess they really DON'T have academic classes there, do they? Maybe they should consider a writing/composition/English/add a comma or period/spelling class.:rolleyes:

Typical forum rants notwithstanding, please understand that you are immensely fortunate to be attending Berklee. I truly hope that you're not flipping burgers in 4 years (unless you want to!). I wish I had gone to college to study music, but I did the dang business thing.

Study and practice hard, and good luck!

18. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    OK, question: How on Earth do any of you guys afford to go full-time to music college at all, let alone something as well known as Berklee?

I earn reasonable money for the town I live in through my day job, but it would take me to the age of 40 (I'm 28 now) to save up enough cash to study full time again for a year at the fees mentioned in this thread , paying rent, living expensies etc! :eek:

19. The magic of student loans and parents' college savings. I don't think a musician would be able to pay back a $50,000 tuition loan very easily, though.