1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Berserk fans? (Dark fantasy manga/ anime)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sunset Shalom, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I just read through it all and wow, just wow! Such a deep and amazing story if you can get past how dark and gruesome it is... It gets so deep and philosophical for how violent of a story it is.

The characters are some of the greatest I have ever come across and not only that but have some of the best personal growth throughout the story I have ever seen. Really beautiful overall.

For those not familiar with it Berserk is a story about a man named Guts, he has one of the harshest and brutal upbringings imaginable which turns him into a battle hardened man with no attachment to life. But the story is about him overcoming that, finding companions he wants to protect and trying to avenge the ones he couldn't. It has some very intense social commentary about government and religion amongst other things and the best and worst sides of humanity. My favorite part personally are the mythical elements though.

For one the story revolves around demons, not just some typical demons either but some of the gnarliest and most grizzly depicted demons I have ever seen. The art is as beautiful as it is disgusting and appalling at times.

Not only that but many mythical creatures show up such as kelpie, elfs, elemental, spirits, trolls and ogres as well as mermaids/ merrow and a kraken like sea god. So it depicts a lot of good and evil mythical stuff.

My other favorite part is the magic, it gets fairly into sorcery/ witchcraft with a very beautiful and unique take on it at least compared to a lot of common stories. Both good and evil magics.

The most intriguing part of all to me are the inter dimensional aspects. It talks about the spirit/ astral realm which sorcerers must leave their physical body to traverse in order to use strong magic.

There are these demons called the "god hand" which are sort of interdimensional entities that can only manifest on earth physically with special conditions, but they influence the minds of weak people and seem to be plotting to destroy the world or overrun it with demons at least.

Anyways I hope I didn't give to much away, the plot is really amazing though. If you can get past how violent it is it's very worth it. I haven't come across such an epic and unique tale in a long time.

Also it is still coming out, issue 348 is next and should be announced soon!

2. ColdEye

ColdEye Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I stopped when they are onboard the ship. It got too slow for me after that. Have not checked out mangas in years so its good to know its still going on. Gantz is a nice one too in a similar vein.

3. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Start back on it, the ship arc is over and they got to a pretty solid point on the elf island, it stopped with another big cliffhanger though and the next release hasn't been announced yet... 348 should be announced in the next few months though, was supposed to be early this year... Hurry up damn you!

The ship arc definitely moved slow for a bit but I liked it overall, did you get to the mermaid stuff at all? Pretty great new character/ love interest for the little tough boy, isidoro or whatever his name is as well as some more intense mythical stuff, the pirates (especially ghost pirates) were ridiculous though xD

Gantz is next on my list! I have seen the anime and am finally ready for the manga I think. I have a friend who is reading it too actually.

I am still so enthralled with Berserk I may have to watch the anime/ movies first though to tide myself over until they finally release the next issue...

4. ColdEye

ColdEye Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I don't watch anime much as I prefer to read, but the gantz anime and movie I could actually tolerate. Might check out some new stuff next weekend. Where do you read your mangas? I don't know what sites are up now. Gantz is amazing. Have patience, I am a big fan of hunter x hunter and that series has too many hiatus. It's a very good series too.

5. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I read some manga as a kid when I was a book fiend but eventually when I started being stoned all the time I stopped reading nearly as much sadly :roflmao:

But I watched tons of random anime for years and am only now getting back into manga. Anime can be great but IME the best are generally obscure or cult classics. Most "popular" anime I hear about seem super overrated and eh IMO compared to the classics and some amazing more obscure stuff.

I watched through all the hunter x hunter awhile back and really loved it. I had watched some of the old anime as a kid but vaguely remembered it, definitely a great series. I can't wait for the next installment of that either! Pretty interesting it will be by the guys wife who did Sailor Moon... The plot is getting great though.

It is like the polar opposite of berserk though in a lot of ways even though they share a lot of themes about companions and personal growth.

I just google for manga/ anime and movies generally. Whatever I find that works first I use, the berserk translation I was reading was pretty bad at times but I got the gist of everything so I didn't care much. It was funny reading Guts as Gatts a bunch though, as well as Pack :roflmao: I knew it was guts and puck though anyways.

You ever watch Serial Experiments Lain? That is a great underrated sci fi anime that gets really trippy.

I am excited to dive into gantz though, been putting it off to take a little break as I tore through berserk and couldn't pull myself away :smug: