1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any bioscientists on the boards?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I know we have some physicists around here, and I also seem to recall some people with knowledge on chemistry on the boards, but are there any scientists of bio-related fields - biologists, biochemists, medical researchers and such - on the boards?

I started studies in physics a couple of years ago, quickly drifted into biophysics and now am doing pretty much only biochem courses, so it seems that might be the field I'm headed. Then again, it would be awesome if I could work with medical research some day :)

2. Im currently in my honours year studying Biochemistry. University of Dundee.

Graduate with my BSc (hons) on the 20th of June, this is getting scarey. But its good, im sick of being a student!

Good stuff on studying physics, I studied it to high school level (Highers in Scotland), and it just didnt do much for me. Ive had to do quite a bit of physics, especially this year, with a large part of my dissertation being related to nanophysics, nanoelectronics and such like. Quantum Tunnelling - Ruining all the simple beliefs you used to have!

3. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    BA Biology, MS Microbiology and MPH Environmental and Occupational Health. I also put in three years towards a PhD in Molecular Biosciences and Bioengineering.

It pretty much requires a PhD to enter into the good paying research slots. Hint: Bioscience Post-docs that I met (worked with several) usually are not financially self-sufficient (in other words poor). Most researchers in the field need to complete at least one post-doc research project before heading up one of their own (one to two years each project). Many places require 5 yrs+ post-doc experience for senior positions. Until then, plan on limited resources for bass gear. :(

4. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    BS Biochmistry. 3/4 of the way through my PhD in Analytical/Physical Biochemistry I started having health issues, didn't finish the PhD.
    RD

5. Sorry, I'm a rocket scientist :smug:

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    :ninja:

hats off to you bio people. go cure stuff! :hyper:

7. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    How's the Biotech outlook in the Washington area? Many good mid-level positions? I'd even consider a decent entry-level position to start if cost of living was reasonable in your state.

Hawaii is starting to get more entry level slots, but mostly in the conservation/ecology biology arena. I'm not into long hikes in the wilderness as a regular part of my job. :meh:

8. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    My health issues have taken me out of the job market. I don't really know how the market is in WA anymore. I expect that it is better than average, as there are some good research institutions in the state, which in the past, have spawned a lot of biotech companies.
    RD

9. tbrannon

tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Biology and Chemistry undergrad degrees with a few years of a PhD program in physiology and biophysics. I now teach Biology at the HS level.

10. Unfortunatley thats the case across the board around here for any degree :(

Aiming to get a couple years experience under my belt, then go back and do a PhD, full or part time.

Quite tempted to try and get into the oil buisness tho, one of the few places where there is good money!

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    My brother is doing a biology/Forensic sciences degree and he also does biochemistry. I'm glad I took law!

12. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I've been known to dabble.

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I wouldn't go that far. However, it's true that next to comaprable disciplines, they're not well-paid.

It all comes down to your priorities. I love my job, even if I can't afford to buy gear as regularly as others.

14. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    I was headed to the research lab in college, but ended up majoring in better living through chemistry and eventually dropped out. Ended up going for an MFA. Kudos to those of you who stuck it out, I'm still fascinated by bio-science, but as a career it wasn't the right place for me.

15. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

16. If you dont mind my asking, where abouts do you work?

17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    PM'd

18. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    I have an offer from Imperial College London for Biochemistry next year. I need to keep my grades up *fingers crossed*

19. I operate a wastewater plant, lots of biology, chemistry, and physics going on there :)

20. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Senior year bio major here, going to medical school this summer (in America!) for what it's worth. Definitely something to consider if you can manage a >3.5