1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Bitcoin Tycoons here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Smokin' Toaster, Dec 14, 2017.

1. I'm looking to dip my toe into Bitcoin. I'm thinking about a grand or so. I wish I had done it 5 years ago, or even one year ago.

Anybody here made any money with Bitcoin? I"m not talking about using it for transactions, I'm talking about buying low and selling high.

2. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    There was a lengthy thread about this recently, maybe it would be of help (I don't have the link I'm afraid).

3. You missed it. Futures have peaked and are falling.

ColdEye likes this.
  4. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
  5. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
  6. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    My opinion shifted + after listening to the NPR discussion today. But yeah it’s probably too late.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I thought the same thing and I still don't understand it, but it's a fact that you can buy stuff with it. Not all stuff, but some stuff. So it's not as much nothing as I thought it was.

OldDog52 likes this.
  8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    It might as well be a baggie full of moss and twigs, its not currency, at least one that is recgnised by any government.

Its more of a bartering system as in " I give you 3 chickens and a strong mule"

its worth something to somebody, not me, but maybe someone

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There are businesses that accept cash, credit cards, PayPal, and bitcoin. In those situations, which aren't common or governmental or the norm, it's the same as money. I agree that it's essentially made up BS, but it's money. Less usable money, but money.

10. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I own bitcoin. People have been saying all of the above since it was at $7.00. It's now hovering around $17K.

11. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Aint America great !!!!

12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    This may be a dumb question, but how do you turn it back into dollars?

fretter, Tbone76 and slobake like this.
  13. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    There are exchanges and an exchange rate just like converting any currency such as euros into dollars or vice versa. But the bitcoin exchange rate is extremely volatile. It’s also not entirely consistent from one exchange site to another.

Top 40+ Bitcoin Exchange Sites

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    Lbsterner, GregC and petrus61 like this.
  14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

So basically it's mini exchanges who could be robbed (hacked) overnight without having an FDIC to back it up. Nice.

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    It's much easier to buy Bitcoins than to sell them, outside of those places that take them as a form of payment.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  16. It's a worldwide thing.
    I know a guy in Thailand who has set up supercomputers to mine BitCoin & allows BitCoin payments in his bars & restaurants.
    I don't think it's making him rich or he'd be shouting it from the rooftops, just the type of guy he is.

17. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    You transfer your bitcoin to an exchange that is linked to your bank account, if you're not holding it in the exchange already (not recommended). Then you just exchange it for dollars and the funds show up in the bank. It's pretty much just like any other electronic transfer. PayPal, etc.

18. LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Yes, security is the biggest issue and something everyone should be concerned with. It's important to have a hardware wallet in order to keep your coins off the exchanges and in storage. The hardware wallets are pretty safe but the exchanges can be risky.

19. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    The NPR broadcast I linked to in the main thread really is very informative. Cost is ~45 minutes of your time.

20. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I heard something on the car radio today that their might be massive fraud involved and is why the price is falling fast.