Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any bmw/car fans? need advice:]

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Jul 17, 2004.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Ok I got something interesting on my hand. The place I used to work for (mechanic shop) called me said that one of old customers are leaving state (wife sick) and have unfinished project cars they want to sell (it runs good). It’s a 1980 bmw 633csi (landshark). For a while I’ve been looking for 535i or 635csi but 85+ not as old as 1980. So that’s a bit of a downside, looks old inside and only 4speed.

Now for the car, it has new performance engine from bmw with 1000 miles on it, he spent 4800$ on the engine. A lot of new stuff big list around 12k worth of stuff done to it, lots of small stuff, clutch etc etc. So the only things I found that needs to be changed right away were radiator (its ok just has cold spots and overheats on long trips and AC doesn’t work. To make it look good, inside of the car needs to be changed to something with less damage/cracks, outside could use maybe a paint job, who cares for now.

Out of drive train only thing that is not new is the tranny which is original... but the tranny still kicking fine, took it to 4th gear (its 4gears only :( ) it still drives fine and goes from 70 to 90 quickly with out a problem.

Overall drives good, I am going to take it to mechanic to lift it up and check everything out with much detail, but what do you guys think, even if it is a project, is it worth it? It is 1980, looks ugly inside... AC controls takes out whole damn dash...

Any thoughts? Think its as good as 1988 e24? Worth finishing it up?

Price $2000

If any of you guys know bmws, let me know if it’s worth it, please. I appreciate it.

Cheers

2. I don't care for cars. I have one to get around, but :D other than that I don't care.

3. buy it!!!!!!

every car that isnt a junker is like, 5 times that! this is a GREAT deal. You will regret it if you don't! In fact, I'll never talk to you again if you don't!

:p ;) , but seriosuly, i'd buy it if I could drive and had 2000 bucks.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah I can see that, I myself just love driving for the drive, go somewhere on mountain road and just drive, feels great when you have a great car that can corner anything with out any problem :D

But I am crazy, sooo :D

Cheers

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Oh crap, now i have 2x presure on me. To buy or not to buy and you never talking to me again :( thats no help!

But ya, i am leaning towards buying it, now though i kind of have to :D

Cheers

6. Go for it man, i was in a similar situation where a freind of mine from work was selling his *MINT* 1985 toyota supra with the 5m-ge motor with a new 5 speed tanny in it. He was selling it for only $2,000 because it was only running on 4 cylinders and needed a rebuild. This car was absolutely mint otherwise and was worth more than the 2 grand but i didn't think i would have the time to rebuild that motor and get it street worthy so i passed it up. I still regret letting it go.

I say if you think it'll be worth anything to you then go for it.

7. that sounds like a decent deal. how's the body? any rust? and the frame? the 4-spd is not that big of deal - it is just geared differently than more modern cars (most cars used to be 3-spd).

it would be a perfect car for someone who enjoys doing a little work on their car. they were designed very well and not that complicated to work on. plus, it sounds like a good bit of the "big stuff' has already been done.

however, you will spend quite a bit on AC and interior. I really don't know how much, but I'd guess $1500-$2000 for AC if it has to be completely replaced and pretty much the same for an interior (probably more). so you're looking at $3k-$4K to get it in good condition, possibly more if you pay others to do all the work. you may get lucky and source some of the parts from salvage yards for a good bit cheaper. so for a total of around $6k, you'd have a really nice, reliable car with good performance.

if it were me, I'd do it in a heartbeat. but i enjoy working on my cars.

hope that helps.

8. Actually I like to just drive sometimes, and I do have a pretty nice car and enjoy it, but as far as knowing much about cars and didn't even read your post, just replied 'cause I knew it was about cars :p

My thoughts: Get it, it sounds like a good deal to me, plus Thinking of you will still talk to you, she is the offical TB birthday cake person you know.

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Do it, sounds like a great car to me.

10. /\
    l
    l
    l
    l

....has a bias for beemers :D

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    bimmers. beemers are the bikes. IIRC

12. I could be wrong but I think it is "Beamers" :meh:

13. All of you are wrong. It’s a 1980 bmw 633csi landshark. :p

14. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
  15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Good, its 10 to nothing now, I will get it if I won’t find something terribly wrong with it by Monday.

Nick Bibeault: Yeah, it will need some work but not the engine, engine is perfect :D thats the reason for worring, alot of small stuff might be more pain/money then 1 engine :D doubt it thought, i think.

driver800: No rust at all, interior should be bad, go around junk yards abit and look for some interior that is good, currently its okish, few rips on seat that’s fixed, with what else, DUCK TAPE! AC wise, he had work done to it, he put in the motor and all it needs is the kit according to him. I will find out Monday. If not, i just D/C AC cable and add 10-20 more hp :D

And yes, not talking to thinking of you is the biggest argument for getting it. I shall get it then

Thanks all, for making my mind, yes i am indecisive :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But doesn’t look as good yet... it will some day hopefully (probably white):p older bmws are awesome :D

Cheers

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am not a big fan of most of the european designed cars. I have had too much trouble working on them. Asian imports can be beastly too. But it's all that's out there these days. I gotta turn wrenches, I guess...

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    kserg,

Don't waste your time on this junker. I suggest buying a brand new Ferrari 612 Scaglietti instead. Check around on Ebay.

brad cook

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    i would, but i dont fit in ferrari:(

plus, turbo Geo Metro is were its at.

Cheers :D

19. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Well, someone is not going to talk to me anymore. I took it to shop, on way there it stalled few times. When I got there few things were leaking (minor) engine was miss firing and acting bad (unstable rpm). I found a leak in air hose between the pump and censor, after sealing it with, what else, DUCK TAPE engine ran better, but still misfiring. After testing it by fun way of pulling out the wires from plugs I found that 3rd cylinder was misfiring. After that I figured I don’t want to deal with it.

It’s such a shame, I cornered 180 degree turn going 60 and car didn’t even tilt, great car, fast too! If not for cylinder being screwy I’d get it.

I actually told guy that if he figures it out or lowers the price to $700-$1000 I will get it, he wouldn’t so here I am looking for 535i or 635csi again. shame too, performance engine, load of performance and new parts:(

i am sad:(

Cheers

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    thinking of you!!!

Please talk to me again, it wasent my fualt:(