Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any boxers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yorkiebassist, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I'm just wondering if we have any boxers on this forum? Me and my friends are school are doing a lot of working out in the school gym right now, and the other day the subject of how to throw the hardest punch came up. One guy did karate and swears using his hips to power the punch is the best way, but I argued that the best way is to throw the punch from the shoulder, and walk into it, leaning in but not so far that you fall over. Which is correct? Sorry if this seems like a dumb topic, I just wanna know.

2. I think that the two of you are trying to describe the same thing to an extent. When throwing a punch you want to have the power of your whole body behind it. I've taken karate and the emphasis from my instructors was placed on snapping the hips (along with other things, but this was the item most concerned with power). The idea here is that snapping the hips allows/forces you to use the whole body to power the strike (legs, abs, shoulders). You can snap your hips much harder when driving them with your whole body, and this is a technique to get people used to using their whole body to power their arm.

When I did kickboxing, it was basically the same thing, except the way of explaining it was a little different, using the legs, hips and shoulders to drive the punch (when doing some training with a boxer friend of mine I noticed that the punching technique was almost identical). Essentially it is the same thing, and unless the person you were talking with doesn't understand it, that's what he means.

Perhaps someone who is a boxer can comment on how their training taught them to punch.

3. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Well there's Roxie

[​IMG]

and Ruby

[​IMG]

:D

Marshall

PS - Sorry I have no idea.

4. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I don't really box but I do hit a bag about 15 minutes a day as my arm toning workout (can't lift). I noticed that the blow comes from the shoulder and the lower body being pushed or pivoted hard behind the fist. The stepping in is more like a followthrough IMO.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    It comes from the leg on the side of the hitting hand. Your torso drives the hand, but you don't step in because you could lose your balance.

6. [​IMG]

:D

One can only dream!

7. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I took karate for half my life...

Who has the hardest punch?
    Mike Tyson or Bruce Lee (assuming he is alive today)

It would definately be Tyson without a bdoubt due to size and the mailboxes he has for hands and the force behind it and al lthat good stuff...

However, it is who knows "how" to use their punches that will win a fight. Boxers will take A LOT to get down on the ground because they know HOW to get hit A LOT. Karate stresses self control and light or no contact which is just gay. So karate people need to be on their A Game vs. a boxer even more so. One punch from a boxer may be the first they EVER RECEIVED and that is not good.

However, if a boxer puts their momentium into a punch and the karate guy uses that momentium against him, then the boxer is off balance and in trouble!

If you are good at fighting then you are good, if you aren't then you aren't. I dont care if someone could punch through a 10" thick steel wall, if they can't get one hit in a fight in then they are doneski!

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Intersting way of putting it considering you say you were a practitioner for half your life......:meh:

9. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    Ahhh, the sweet science...I won several boxing tournaments including a State Championship growing up & I love the sport to this day.

More important than arm strength is leg strength and coordination...look at George Foreman or Tyson's legs...Pivoting/rotating from the balls of your feet and pushing/leaning off the floor (not jumping) at contact is how to deliver power to a punch.

If you get the chance to watch Million Dollar Baby, there is a scene during training sequences, before her first fight, when the narration explaining boxing training says it all.

10. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Has anybody got any videos that can explain this whole hip snapping thing? I'm finding it difficult. As for the boxing style punch, I've been sort of practicing, but without a punch bag I can't gauge jsut how much pwoer is behind it.

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'd guess out of the shoulder with the body turning along. That way you combine the strength of the arm with the mass of the body.

Also, when you shadowbox, be careful with hyperstretching your arm, you could seriously hurt your elbow.

12. To achieve maximum effect, you need to punch with every muscle between your fingers and your toes. This takes a lot of coordination, because everything has to flex, torque, and/or explode at the same time. If you're talking max effect, you usually mean you're throwing a cross (using your strong hand and rear foot). Concentrate on a good stance, feet shoulder width or a little more apart, about 45 degrees from the target, with about 65% of your weight on your rear (strong) foot. Flex your knees slightly, and balance on the balls of your feet. Lock your elbows against your ribs, and your first knuckles against the cheeks of your face. The motion involves:

1. Twisting your torso (hips and shoulders) toward the target,

2. Bursting forward with both legs (while maintaining balance) while shifting weight distribution to about 30% on your rear foot and 70% on your forward foot, and

3. Extending and turning over your strong arm while locking your wrist and elbow and squeezing your fist.

All at the same time.

Practice doing this in slow motion, and imagine you are trying to dig your toes into the floor! This gives you a good idea how the "whole body, getting your weight into it" concept works. You should be one solid, clenched muscle from your knuckles to your toes. Now try it without moving from the shoulder down. You immediately feel the distance.

It should be noted that this is one of the quickest ways to damage your hands without using machinery. Your hand wasn't built to hit things, or even people with. Even small, weak people can punch hard enough to break their hands once they develop a little technique. If you want to do this sort of thing regularly, get someone to teach you how to wrap your wrists and hands, and use the huge 16+ ounce training gloves. If you find yourself in a situation where you cannot avoid having to hit someone to defend yourself or someone else, use a wine bottle, ashtray, guitar, anything else but your fist.

13. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I'm a bit confused how to burst forward with both feet....surely one foot is a pivot and the other foot comes forward? If there's any videos of boxers delivering a textbook haymaker, could anybody share it? As for avoiding using my fists, my first form of defence is my mouth; I talk my way out of trouble.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I box a bit. For a power punch I use my hips. I'm right handed; the heel of my right foot is "slightly off the deck". While I'm throwing a hard right punch, I pivot my right heel from about 8 o'clock to 6 o'clock. This helps me to use my lower body and seems to give my punch more power. I hope that makes sense.

15. That's a good point. The way I said that makes no sense. Neither foot is moving forward or back. The strong side (rear) leg extends, from a slight crouch to almost fully extended, with your toes "grabbing" the ground. Think of one fairly straight, flexed line, extending from the toes of your strong foot to the two large knuckles of your strong hand. The weak side (front) leg goes from a fairly relaxed state to a flexed state, and as you pointed out, the foot pivots slightly to the weak side. Since the weight transfer is fast and considerable, when you try it you will feel like the weak leg is actually doing something, holding up your striking line and stabilizing you for the quick recovery you need to make before you catch a counterpunch.

The idea is to remain balanced and in control, so you return to your normal stance fairly quickly and in a controlled manner. It takes a lot longer to explain than it does to try it a few times, and if you go very slow, and concentrate on the role of your toes, thighs, hips, and back, you will feel the motion better than I can explain it.

Boxing training can be great aerobic exercize. Shadow boxing is like swimming, in that everything is working. You don't need any equipment or even much room. Hitting the heavy bag looks like so much fun that everybody wants to jump right into it, though, and I don't think it is worth the damage to your hands and arms, both joints and bones. Boxers who are training to fight learn to punch "through" their target, meaning they are trying to hit a point six inches deep inside there, and while it might not seem like a problem when you are 19, and made of stainless steel, when you get older those joints can torture you day and night.

16. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    I don't understand how not stepping into a punch can give it power, surely your weight has to be involved?

17. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

It's basically the difference between linear momentum and the associated kinetic energy......and angular momentum and kinetic energy associated with that!

You can get your fist going a lot quicker by swinging the whole of your upper torso and part of your leg mass than you can by quickly 'sticking' your hand out and stepping forward!

Think haymaker punch while spinning your upper torso and stepping round, to jab while stepping forward!:)

18. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    So you mean a pivot on the left foot(i'm right handed), with a twist in the torso, and an extension of the arm?