Any Boxing Hobbyists?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Over the years I've done the 'Whitman's Sampler' of different M.A. styles and I ended up taking Boxing at a local gym. I'm doing it because I like the science behind it's techniques, it's a fun way for me to get in better shape, and IMO it's a very effective form of self defense. My gym has just brought in a Jiu Jitsu Instructor, so I'm going to at least try it out to learn a little ground fighting, takedowns, and submission techniques in addition to Boxing. I'm really excited to get back to the gym after the New Years Holiday.

I'm curious if any other TBer's take Boxing or Jiu Jitsu as a hobby.

Happy Holidays, -Art
  2. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The sifu (or guru or sensei or whatever your marial art calls it) that I took Pekiti Kirsia and Tai Chi under was also a certified boxing instructor, and I went to a couple of those classes as well.

One thing I can say about boxing is that your reaction times and hand speed will, without a doubt, get faster. It's fun to do, but I personally prefer an art that's more geared toward breaking things and maiming people versus knocking them senseless.

Unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever do any martial arts again, unless my back and leg problems do a 180 degree turnaround. :(
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I hope your back and leg problems get better soon. Over the past 4 years I've tried the following Martial Art systems:

Parker/American Kenpo
    Shotokan Karate
    Wing Chun Kung Fu
    Muay Thai
    Jeet Kune Do concepts

I spent the most time with Kenpo, followed by Muay Thai/JKD concepts/Kali. I really enjoyed praticing these systems.
    I also liked Aikido but the rapid pivoting was hard on my knee.
    Shotokan was too robotic for me; it's one of the 'hard styles'.
    Wing Chun was interesting, but the Sifu was IMO a scam artist. It was a business and outside of the vigorous warmup period, I gained very little from it. I'm sure if a person studied WC from a good Sifu, things would be very different.

Boxing is something I've always loved. I've watched it since I was a little kid with my dad. IMO It's beauty lies in it's simplicity, yet the more I experience I've gained, the more I realize Boxing is a science. Boxing is my favorite hobby.

I agree, if I had to really defend my family with my bare hands, I'd rather break limbs and gouge eyes. I'm pretty confident I can throw some fast, hard blows if it's ever necessary, plus in sparring I've learned how to take a punch. But Boxing is more of a 'fun' thing for me rather than form of a self defense.

My Sig-Sauer P220 is all the self defense I'll need! :D

I have some lower back problems too, I'll be really cautious with the Jiu Jitsu; If it causes more pain than I can tolerate, I'll stick with Boxing only.

It is possible for you to continue Tai Chi? I don't know much about it, but I've been told it's very theraputic, and when taught by a knowledgeable Sifu, it has great self defense applications.

Happy Holidays, -Art
  4. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    i dont... but did you see what Klitschko did few weeks back...

"Williams was taken to a local hospital for a precautionary brain scan after the fight, while Klitschko also went to have X-Rays taken of his swollen hands." bbc news

5. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I love boxing. Great fun. I haven't been as active with it lately, I've been besy, but I've really been missing it. I think I'll start sparring again after the holidays.
  6. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I still practice as much as I can, but because of my back problems, I have dropfoot and a lot of weakness in my left leg, so there's a lot that I'm not able to do. It does help a lot, though. My sifu was awesome, and I miss working with him; but I don't have the money or time to keep training right now.

For what it's worth, you've gotten correct information about the art. It is really therapeutic in much the same way that yoga can be; and when you know what you're doing it is an extremely powerful martial art.

Merry Christmas, everybody. I'm going back to my heating pad.