Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

any bruce hornsby fans around here?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Dec 20, 2001.

1. One of my teachers this past couple of weeks has been playing a bunch of Bruce Hornsby stuff during class...and I must say I like that stuff. Any cd recomendations? We listened to the live cd a while back all the way through and it sounded great.

Theres also one song that I liked a whole lot, but I just can't seem to figure out the name....in the chorus he says something about green grass....but thats all i can think of...i hate it when i cant figure out the name of a song.

so if any of yall are big fans of his stuff maybe yall can help me out.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I guess not, huh?

BTW, Bruce is from my neck of the woods...way back in the late '70s, The Bruce Hornsby Band gigged around here(Bruce's brother played bass)...they really had that Steely Dan vibe & groove D-O-W-N! "Skunk" Baxter of The Doobie Brothers dug them & wanted to produce/manage them(I think).
    So, they go out to the "left coast" & cut a demo. Said demo doesn't impress enough of the suits(I guess)& the band splits. Hornsby stays out West & ends up in Sheena Easton's backing band(I recall seeing them on an American Banstand show...when Bruce was mentioned during the obligatory "Who's in the band"? segment, he receives some very, LOUD applause. Apparently, he had made a name for himself amongst the locals out there).

Anyway, I have but one Hornsby disc...Jimmy Haslip of The Yellowjackets is playing on it; some very nice stuff('jazzy' Pop that, IMO, would be a welcome change vs. the disposable dreck that clogs up the airwaves).

***PUNCHING IN***
    What's really pathetic is YOUR #2 TB-er of the week...DanceHall Clasher IS in Williamsburg! Hell, he probably knows where Bruce lives! :D

3. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Bruce is the Sh*T!!!!!!

I recommend "Harbor Lights" (the aforementioned disc with Haslip)

and the first one Which is called "the Way it is".

Also "The End Of Innocence" by Don Henley, written and produced by Bruce!

4. err... can't say i've heard of the guy.

by the way, i'm actually back home in fairfax co. until the 17th. so those of you that send me mail bombs might want to hold off for a while.

5. You probably have. His biggest hit was that song thats like "thats just the way it is...somethings just never change" and a long time ago Tupac covered it and made it sound alot crappier.

And thanks to JimK and Bassdad2to for helping me out.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...not sure, but does Hornsby appear on any of The Flecktones' albums?
    One time, he did sit-in with them when the 'Tones played @Norfolk's Scope.

DHC-
    Back home 'til 1-17-02?
    Man, that's one of the things I miss about college! ;)

7. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I started a thread about the live Hornsby CD
    Here Comes the Noise Makers about a year ago. Its a damn good CD!! The bass player (sorry can't remember his name) plays a Smith six string and a Modulus 5 on the CD. Its a great CD...good songs and a fantastic band. Some good bass solo's too! I wish I could remember the bass players name...he is very good!!
    Anyway it was my favorite CD for a LONG time.
    Dan

8. Bruce Hornsby.He was big right before I got married(ca.1987)."Mandolin Rain" and "The Way It Is" were his big hits,but every song on that cd is killer!

I`ll have to dig that one out of the closet jr,thanks for Reminding me! :)

Check out Boingo`s (formerly Oingo Boingo)`89 album entitled "Dark at the End of the Tunnel".Very good,I just picked her up at the used cd store. :D
    Nice horns and bass on it.One of Elfman`s last stints with the band before he started doing all t.v./movie soundtracks/themes.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Oh yeah, I like Bruce Hornsby. Check out the title track of Harbor Lights (w/ Pat Metheny soloing).

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Hornsby is great. He played keyboards for the Grateful Dead for a little while, in addition to the other gigs you guys have mentioned.

I saw him play with The Other Ones at Furthur in '98, and they did a KILLER rendition of "Rainbow's Cadillac"... I love that song... Is that on Harbor Lights?

11. If you're looking to buy your first Hornsby cd, that's the one. The title of the album is The Way It Is, and every song is good. (Huey Lewis actually produced several of the tracks, but not the whole album).