Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any builder looking for a nice piece of wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by borden, Mar 12, 2006.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    pretty it is a shame he made it so short....t

2. Right, i havn't realized that.... i do now, my bad.... still looks awesome

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    So wait, what's wrong with it again?

I'm probably not seeing it because my brain is fried this morning...though the listing has it as 14 3/8 x 19 5/8 x 1 11/16, it looks like the 19+ inches are length. Normally I use 20 x 15 pieces, but this would work...what am I not seeing?

4. Hrmm, comparing sizes to instruments i already have... yup it'd fit, maybe a little tight on the 19 5/8 inches but it would fit.

xcept for some crazy bigger custom design but i guess standard size instruments would be fine!!

Thanks for correcting us there..... i almost fell into darkness!

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I could get that to work! Should be fine.:)

6. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    What do you have against "FRENCHIE" from Quebec?
    Did you ever meet one?
    Why do you call them "Bastards"
    What did they ever do to you to call them "BASTARD" for no reason? That's what we call "IGNORANT" and "MORON"
    Who do you think you are? Kind of insulting

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I've gotta have at least 22" in length, but I'm working on a short-scale design with a 19" body.

8. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Am I missing something, if you have a 19" body, why do you need 22"? I don't mean to sound wrong, I just don't understand.:help:

9. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I meant that I need 22" for this one design that I already have BUT I'm working on a short-scale with a 19" body length.

10. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I like to start with 22" myself....t

11. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Well, how wide do you start?

Again, I go 20x15x1.75 inches, sometimes 1.5.

12. i am FRENCH from QUEBEC, i was referring to myself... i guess you should review your post....... J'aime pas vraiment me faire traiter de moron par un esti d'épais qui comprends rien a ce qu'on écrit!!

Bonne chance dans tes projets futurs, travaille ta lecture t'en aura besoin

Sorry for that french part, i had to explain myself....

13. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    Thanks for the explanation
    N'etant pas un ostie d'epais, je sais tres bien lire et comprendre le Francais et l'Anglais. D'origine Francaise, je n'aime pas qu'on nous traite de ("BASTARD"). "THOSES" insinuate "ME" also and it is a bad "JOKE" even if the reference is for yourself in French or English

14. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Back to our discussion. :bag: I wonder what type of glue he is using?

15. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    I asked. I got an instant response I'll give him credit for that! Titebond 3

16. Well that guy is in my ebay's favorite sellers list for a while now because he's got really nice stuff coming out every once in a while.... he's a good ressource for fingerboards - especially for people building 6 stringers or even just larger than usual fretboards... i, personally, like his stuff!!

and yes, he is fast on answering, maybe we could bring to his attention that alot of people could be buying from him instead of somewhere else if he could more specifically meet in the dimension/diversity required for luthiers around TB... (Ho by the way, i do not mean to publicise him, it's my fair honest opinion)

I have a question to ask you TJCLEM..... Is Titebond a good clue for that purpose? (can it be applied to all sorts of wood without staining?) Thanks

17. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    There is another guy soundat11 that has some nice pieces of wood. I got a 1 piece purpleheart body blank for about 40 from him. He does not seem to have much now but he always seems to add more.

18. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Ask about glues and you will get lots of opinions. Personaly I use titebond 1 I have gone through a few gallons of it. :D

19. Heavy Cream

Heavy Cream

Apr 8, 2005
    Why would buy any of his items? There pretty expensive if you are making an instrument you could do that yourself and save lots of money. He's just doing the easy stuff for you.