1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Canadians Order a Sire Bass? (or any cold weather dwellers order one?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by russpurdy, Apr 1, 2015.

1. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Wondering if any Canadians have ordered one of the Marcus Miller basses from Sire? How did shipping work out? Fees? Did they hold up to the weather?

Also, has anyone living in a cold climate ordered one? How did it hold up neck/fret wise (sprout, bowing?)

thanks!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm in central NY state, and my Sire M3 arrived on a cold snowy day - it didn't sit outside, but no telling how long it was in the cold on the truck or during shipping.

Made it through just fine, though my experience was the opposite of many others - my neck had too much relief, and action set to high - maybe that's because I ordered from Thomann, so mine came 'round the other way. ;) Seriously, might have been the weather, but the bass itself is A-OK. Can't stop playing it, in fact, which may pose an interesting problem when my V7 5er arrives. ;)

Ty_Boogie likes this.
  3. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Did you find the bass set up well after the fact? Able to get stupid low action without bottoming out saddles an buzzing?

4. FBGC

FBGC

Jun 24, 2011
    I wanted to order one but I couldn't get the checkout done on the Sire website (the site was not able to generate a shipping quote for a canadian adress) so I emailed Mickey and had a 5 string ash reserved for me before they ran out of stock. Mickey sent me an email yesterday and told me the shipping would cost about 80$US. I'm pretty sure I will get other fees because I'm in Quebec and we get charged for evertything... but who knows, I might be lucky. You can PM me in a couple of days and I'll keep you informed of how it goes.

Regards,

Frank

5. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Aweosme, thanks man!

6. I'm came pretty close last week to order one but the dollar is so bad right night, with shipping, and with my luck customs will hit me again. Just going to sit back for a few more weeks.

7. RyFi

RyFi

Jun 3, 2011
    Regina, SK
    Hey Russ. I recognize your name from the SMGE Facebook group. :)

I know that qwench got his V7 about a week ago, so I doubt cold weather was a factor. I believe he told me that his shipping was $80? He said he didn't get any import charges, so just listed price + shipping + US/CND conversion.

I just ordered an M3 a couple of days ago and my shipping was $62, which sounds great... but it's too early to celebrate - always a chance for a gouging from customs or the courier! Keeping my fingers crossed...

Have you bought one yet, or which one are you eyeing?

MMC.Jazz likes this.
  8. MMC.Jazz

MMC.Jazz

May 12, 2015
    Was in same boat over a month ago. Was going to pull the trigger on a V7 5st Alder Black, which was one of the few 5's that we're still available(looks like on site it still is, all others sold out) and was quoted $61.83 USPS shipping but was afraid of the highway robbery Canada Customs rapes us for.
    In the end picked up the Squier J instead. Will have to wait until our dollar recovers from its swamp status or wait for a distributor to show up here.

9. Fred P

Fred P

Mar 7, 2017
    Hi. I don't know when your original message has been sent, but since I'm thinking to buy a Sire instrument (M7 ash 4-str), and live in Quebec too, I'm very interested to know how has your buying experience been (total cost, fees, delivery shipping issues, etc.). I don't have much money and this will probably be the only bass I'll ever get, so I don't want to make a mistake (or have to deal with my wife's «Told you so» for a decade or two...).

10. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    The total costs will depend on who Sire ships with. In the case of Fedex or DHL, you'll probably be paying 13% HST (or in QC just 5% GST) as well as a small fee to process through customs, on top of what you've paid for the bass*exchange rate. If they use UPS, then be prepared for a large processing fee that will probably exceed the HST/GST amount. Their processing fees are insane when crossing things into to Canada. The courier will contact you prior to delivery about paying this in order to complete the clearance.

canuckshort likes this.
  11. canuckshort

canuckshort Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Couldn't agree more! UPS is so bad I will not buy if that's who will be shipping.

FoxInSocks likes this.
  12. Fred P

Fred P

Mar 7, 2017
    The website says it's UPS. Darn!