Any car guys in here? AC question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Captain Chaos, Oct 1, 2022.

1. My AC is not blowing any air whatsoever.

I checked fuse and it’s intact. When I touch the controllers I think I hear something. I had to refill it a couple years ago. Can it stop working completely if there’s no refrigerant? Or just a broken fan blower?

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    No air at all would be a blower issue. Can you get to the blower and smack it?

pie_man_25 and S-Bigbottom like this.
  3. I just smacked it a lil bit and turned it on. It didn’t do anything.

4. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Blower fan issue.

Will the fan come on in heat or defrost modes? In the olden days, the blower fan was pretty much completely separated from the refrigeration circuit, but there's no telling what kind of unneeded complexity the software geeks have added just because they can. And yet with all that computer control of auto HVAC systems, they still won't get off their duffs, embed a couple look-up tables and tell you if the damn thing's low on charge.

But it's probably something about the fan. Which is probably on a different circuit/fuse than the compressor.

5. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Smack it with the fan speed switch in the on position and the vehicle running.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  6. I hear something faint when I turn on defrost but it stops.

7. It worked, fan sounds like it’s not spinning properly.

Edit: air began blowing. So it’s the fan correct?

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  8. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Yes, it's the blower itself.

When you remove the old one, pay attention to the electrical connector.... If it's melted or otherwise damaged, replace it.

What kind of car are we dealing with?

Joshua and Captain Chaos like this.
  9. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Sounds like you're (kind of) in luck. Sounds like the fan is mechanically failing. That's good news in that if it's true, you're not dealing with a bunch of computer BS trying to figure out why the software has locked out the fan or some such. It's not so good news because the thing's probably buried deep in the dash. Ah, for the good old days when the fan, heater core and evaporator were all in a fiberglass housing attached to the engine side of the fire wall.

The old joke when I owned a Volvo 240 was that first they held the fan up in the air and then they assembled the whole car around it.

If it were readily accessible and I were broke I'd just lube the little bushings, but it's probably not easy to get to, so it'll probably make more sense after spending two hours to get to the thing, to just suck it up and replace it with a complete new fan.

If you tell us what make model and year it is, someone like Mike may know whether it's one of those easy replacement jobs or not.

Captain Chaos likes this.
  10. Ford Mustang. Thank you so much.

Mike N and BassNugget like this.
  11. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    What year? 1965 is a lot different from 2022.

12. 2013

13. I was going to say, bet it's a Ford. I have worked for years for agencies that use Ford vehicles and this has happened a bit!

14. Now it’s running like nothing happened. lol

Anyways I just ordered the part.

BassNugget likes this.
  15. jtg

jtg Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    What do you mean, joke? This is my actual 240 in the middle of a heater core and blower motor replacement a while back. You be the judge.

Attached Files:

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  16. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    That looks like some poor engineering right there.....

hbarcat likes this.
  17. I ordered the part from Amazon and it’s listed as new but it looks it’s been used. Nowhere it says it’s been remanufactured.

25C66016-C851-4B2F-8B26-E358FE1A181E.jpeg
    14F0F55A-73F6-448F-A5DA-DAA048CE68BB.jpeg

18. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I think if it was used, the rotor would have more dust and grime in it. Those things are hard to clean out completely.

Can the motor be lubricated? I just fixed a bathroom vent fan that was "stuck until smacked" by teasing it apart and lubricating the bearings.