1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any carpentry/technology/shop teachers here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ray Holt, Mar 30, 2006.

1. I'm a freshman in college, and I've been killing myself lately trying to figure out what I should do. I'm a music major right now, and I'm definitely got natural talent for it, and I find music theory interesting... but not something I WANT to do everyday, ya know?

The only thing I really WANT to do right now is build my guitar... I can't tell you how much I've thought of just going to the Roberto-Venn school of luthiery... but I was thinking of alternatives, and the idea of being a shop/carpentry teacher came up.

I'm not sure that my school (University at Buffalo, NY) has a program in it... but here's my real question:

Any of you who might be shop/carpentry teachers (any level, middle school, highschool, college), how exactly did you get to be where you are today? I'm sure many people do it without getting a degree exactly in technology education.

Any responses are greatly appreciated!!!

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    There's a technology education line in the university, around here. I think all of the elementary/middle school shop teachers come that way.

However, it kinda depends what kind of stuff you want to teach - most college teachers are graduates from that same school and taken some credits in Education or Masters in their own field. This way you could end up teaching in a artisan school for fine woodworking and design.

Also, many industrial / product design lines in colleges have extensive woodwork shops for making models and prototypes.

3. I am a Technology Ed teacher!:hyper: While I am certified to teach shop/carpentry, the school I work at does not offer shop, so I currently teach Digital Imaging, Graphic Design, and Computer Repair. Technology Ed is a very versatile certification and allows you to teach a number of classes!

Around this part of the country, some schools are cutting their shop programs or DRASTICALLY reducing them due to funding and state mandated testing, but also because they are not able to fill the position when the teachers are retiring. I know of about 10 Tech Ed guys that are retiring in the next couple of years, and the state Univ. does not have enough students in the program to fill them.

There is a HUGE shortage of Technology Ed teachers nationwide. If you decide to go that route, you will be a hot commodity in education!

Here was my route to becoming certified to teach: My first college degree was in Music Theory. You can guess at the marketability of that one! I worked some crappy jobs for a year and then went back to school and got a second bachelors degree in History and also got certified to teach music and social studies. Come to find out, around here if you don't coach football it is almost impossible to find a job as a social studies teacher. So, I took a job working for the vocational ed department at the local University. While working there, I took advantage of a great deal that they have for employees where I could take 6 credits a semester for $50. So, I got a Master's Degree in Adult Education and got certified to teach Business Ed and Technology Ed.

I do know that it is possible to recieve certification to teach vocational education classes based on your previous work experience. Usually you have to have 3-5 years in a given field and then you are given about 3 years to complete some education classes. I have an uncle that teaches machine shop that went this route.

If you have any questions about teaching Tech Ed, or getting certified, feel free to contact me.

Shelly :)