Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Cat shrinks out there??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by oversoul, Aug 5, 2004.

1. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Ok, so this thread is about one of my two (new) cats, a female named Rita, about 9 months old.
    So my girlfriend, who has now become a Vet, brought her home after reviving Rita from being attacked by a couple of dogs, she is ok now, but something got really messed up inside that little brain. Rita is mute, has the shakes everytime we look at her, and no way she lets us pick her up! She is always hiding under a table or in the litter box :eyebrow:
    Its not that she is agressive, but she nearly collapses with fear everytime someone cuddles her :eyebrow:

Anyway she is really sweet, and will keep her anyway of course, but has anybody had experience with gaining trust with a traumatized pet?Its just sad to see the puss in the box all day long. :scowl:
    anyway, the other one, Poppy, is just ok, hes old and toothless, and his primary goal in life is to get cuddled all the time and sleep on top of us :D

2. Masses of love & infinite patience

Good luck…

- Wil

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Yeah, exactly. We had a dog growing up that we got from the pound. He had been beaten with boots, so everytime someone would take off their shoes he would freak out. Also, leather jackets and motorcycle helmets scared the crap out of him. It just took a lot of time and patience to reassure him that no one was going to hurt him.

My answer? Time and TLC.

Poor kitty :crying:

4. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Totally agree with the answers. Its going to take a lot of time and she may never get over all of her fear completely. If cuddling gives her the shakes, maybe try other ways to interact, like rolling cat toys by her (my cat loves crumpled up balls of paper). Get her to come to you and see its safe.

5. I got my cats from a guy who took them away from a guy who kicked them and dumped hot water on them. I don't know how long the abusing guy had them, but they were kittens, and the guy I got them from had them for around 2 years. One was really friendly, the other was really skittish. After having them about a year something weird happened, the skittish one started becoming the more dominant one. She'd win the fights, she'd sit on the highest point in the room.

She still doesn't like to be held too much, but she's daddy's girl. :D

6. +1. Give the cat space and time. Feed it and make sure it stays inside and around you as much as possible at first. You don't want to pick it up while it is still uncomfortable to do so, but you have to let it know that your home is safe and you're not going to hurt it. It also has to adjust to you and your girlfriend's scent.

We have cat that ran away from what we think was an abusive environment. It didn't want to stay in our house because it was a stray for a period after it ran away/was dumped. So, we made it stay inside for a week, fed it, tried to give it affection when we felt it was comfortable. Now, it is the most loving animal possible and even learnt to fit in with our other two cats. In the end, though, time and patience are the keys.

Leigh

7. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Thx all, I guess that patience will be an issue, We got home today and she was missing, guess what, the little maggot found a way to open the kitchen droors and got itself closed inside, I'm suspecting the other one closed it while hangin it on his front paws :eyebrow:
    But anyway she is a bit better, starting to respond to rubbing on the cheeks, lets see what happens after the surgery, my girlfriend is going to castrate her and remove a hernia, that will slightly change her behaviour (you should see a dominant male after castration> miaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuwww :p )

8. it will just take time.. a friend of mine was a cop and he kept a 1 year old cat from a suicide scene where the lady killed herself in the bathtub and nobody found her for 2 weeks. when the body was found the cat was sitting on top of it just whimpering and shaking. i won't say what the cat did to survive that long to save stomach's of the squeemish, but this poor cat was ReALLY messed up. my friend couldn't even get CLOSE to the bathtub without the cat just absolutely freaking out. screaming and just going nuts... it's been almost a year now and the cat is definitely doing better. .. just be calm when you are around it and it should be cool..

9. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    you mean the cat... :eek:
    No words can comment such an extreme case :meh:

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My mum is a big cat person, so we always had several of them in the house growing up, including a few rescues of abused kittys. We found that they respond favourably to high pitched voices. Deep boomy voices like mine and my dads would scare them. So we used to speak to them in artificially hight voices using as calm a tone as we could muster. Over time you can drop the vocal shenanigans, but initially it helps them overcome their fear of you.

11. Yeah, we found the same too. High and softly is always good.

Leigh

12. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    LOL, curious, does anyone know what is the hearing range of a cat?? :smug:

13. …between 100Hz and 60kHz

- Wil

14. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    hmm, would that mean that most sounds are very sharp to them? That would explain why they deslike the vacuum cleaner so much :p

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Have you ever seen how cats react when you're flicking TV stations, and you come across one that is nothing but "black and white snow". That hissing sound that which resembles white noise really freaks them out. They're obviously hearing frequencies that we can't.

16. oversoul

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    No wonder, that sound even freaks me out! :bawl: