1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any chance I could get ripped off in this ebay deal?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I was selling something on ebay, and it's a semi-rare item, and since the dollar is so weak, I knew I could get more for it if I sold it internationally. I said in my listing "if you are outside the US PLEASE contact me before bidding" just so I could be sure I would want to go through with it. Unsurprisingly, somebody in New Zealand chooses to Buy it Now without contacting me. Then I notice that he has 0 feedback. He's been a member for almost 2 years but with no feedback, good or bad.

Here's my question: if he pays me with Paypal, and the money goes through, and I send the item to him, is there any way for him to screw me? I'm pretty savvy as far as internet scams go, but I know I'm not as savvy as the scammers, so I want to make sure there isn't some backdoor I'm not thinking of.

Once he pays me, am I safe, or can he get his money back somehow?

2. ill hunt him down for you if he scams you

3. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    The buyer is taking all the risk. That said, the same thing happened to me. I normally sell just to North America but I did a global listing trying to get a higher price for something.

The buyer had zero transactions but was around for 2 years. Buyer was listed as residing in Japan but wanted it shipped to Switzerland. Ebay said it was an official registered address. I thought to myself "if this guy ends up winning the auction, there is going to be trouble".

Anyway, after he won the auction. He told me to indicate on teh customs export declaration that it was a gift of no commercial value. I ignored this as that would be fraud. He was pissed and made legal threats and that was that.

I got paid via PayPal upfront but I question whether the headache was worth it.

4. When im shipping outside the UK.

I make sure to state something along these lines:

"I will post the item via recorded delivery. I'll give you the numbers. Once I have posted it I can take no responsibility for losses incured due to damage in transit or being lost in the post"

Sure, the buyer is taking the risk, but thats not my problem. On saying that tho, I add that regarding international postage in my listing. So if they are buying internationally, they know my policy.