1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any chance of a problem using multiple full stacks?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PrimusPanda, Jul 21, 2012.

1. PrimusPanda

PrimusPanda

Nov 18, 2010
    Ohio
    I have looked around and have found a ton of threads only concerning mixing cabs under the same amp/preamp but no luck in finding a real answer to my question. I have two 410s I use as a stack when'd needed and even though the tone is what I want, I want my bass to not only be heard but felt, and I'm lacking the oomf I'm looking for. So why not add a couple of 15s? Would running my bass through an 810 stack adjusted for more high end and some mids along with a separate 215 stack adjusted mostly for lows and maybe some mids prove somewhat helpful in terms of adding some "bass" to my bass? From my understanding, the stacks having different EQ settings under different amps means phasing shouldn't be a problem. I realize this would be a lot to carry, but having 4 cabs and consisting of two 410s and two 115s and then two separate amps, this should give me some options when it comes to choosing a rig for a specific gig.

2. If those cabs are any thing like most cabs on the market now then those 15s wont be able to handle nearly as much lows as the 8x10. Just get more 4x10s if you like your tone. It will be a much better choice.

Also phasing is still going to be an issue unless you get a cross over. Different EQ does not equal cross over.

3. PrimusPanda

PrimusPanda

Nov 18, 2010
    Ohio
    The 810 alone even when EQed low doesn't give the bass I am looking for. Would more 410s cause that rumble to be felt more than just be blasted by sound? I am using hartke hydride cabs. Maybe I am just not feeling it so much because of being right next to the drums and guitar which are pretty loud.

4. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Get a wireless and go out front and listen to your band while playing. I have never used a Hartke 810, but most 810s put out plenty of bottom.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what's the point of all that?

if you drag out a massive "wall of bass", you'll just drown out the drums, unless there's a real PA happening to carry the drums, at which point you wouldn't need the wall of bass!

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

I love big, loud, fat bass, but only if the stuff you're playing with is of the same caliber.....which means good PA, which means you don't need a "wall of bass".

If you do that, your band isn't going to sound musical anymore. It'll sound like egotistical individuals, each trying to outdo the other. Commonly known as "guitar gymnastics", or, in your case "bass gymnastics".

Really, get a good PA, learn how to set it up right and run it right, and make the whole damn band sound great, not just yourself.

No matter how good you think your tone is, or how badass you think it sounds loud, if it's not complimenting/driving the band....it's not good. Super loud bass tone doesn't mean squat if it doesn't sit in the right place with the other instruments.

7. Any chance? Every chance.

What are you getting from the PA? Presumably none?

The better the biamping separation the more ludicrious the amount of cab you're hauling to get the mids and highs. A six inch speaker and a tweeter does the business with a 3015LF sub. Do you really want to cart a 4x10 to do the work of a single 6"?

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup. The idea is full of problems. The answer is a full featured PA system, or a bass rig that you actually like. There are bass cabs that go low and loud.

9. Some of your thinking about phasing isn’t correct - but, I’ve slaved multiple full stacks many times and it works great - in fact, I’m playing through two stacks of 115s this afternoon (two amps/four 115s).

EDIT: and anyone telling you a 6 can keep up with a 410, or a little 3-way cab can keep up with a wall of 15s is clueless. ;)

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The 6's are mid drivers, and if the cab is crossed over properly, a 6 can absolutely "keep up" with a 15 pushing only lows.

11. I don't like 2 way cabs and I hate tweeters, I much rather use a full range 15 (I like bass) - and I'll bet you cash your 15/6 can't keep up with two of my 115s.

12. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    No one, to my knowledge, ever said a single 6 could keep up with a 410 full range. All such references said that a single could easily replace a 410 when used strictly for mid range reproduction. As in a biamped or dual amped setup.

A "little 3 way cab" with enough power pushing is capable of over 120dB SPL. I can't imagine ever needing more than that with today's PA gear.

13. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    +1 on this if you haven't done it. You really have no idea what your rig sounds like 30' and more from stage. It's usually gonna have a lot more lows and less bite than you're hearing on stage. If it sounds like a pumping sub to you on stage, it's almost always way too much out front. Let the PA do those sub-lows for you in the amount needed to blend with everything else.

14. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I assume you're talking about those little GK 115s on your reverb nation page?

15. Post #7
    what 6" can keep up with a 410? and a good 410 or 215 will spank a 15/6.

16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    As for the OP: if you hauling around 4 cabinets just to get "your sound", then you're doing something horribly wrong.

17. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Joe,
    See my post above.

18. I was thinking of my 3015 115's - but I like my little GK MB115 combo amps on my reverbnation page.

19. As already explained, when using a bi-amp setup the 4X10 cab is reduced to being used for mids/highs when paired with a 1X15 or 1X18. The amount of sound needed to keep up with a 1X15 or 1X18 can easily be produced by a 6" mid driver.

As for the 15's, it is also common knowledge that the premium drivers in a fEarful setup do the work of multiple commercially available drivers.

20. PrimusPanda

PrimusPanda

Nov 18, 2010
    Ohio
    My wanting to get another stack isn't to be louder, I realize drowning out the band isn't a good thing and figured I could use the volume knob to prevent that. I like my sound and I think it sits well in the band. I was simply looking for a way to tweak my rig a little to add a bit more low end since (from what I am hearing, might be fine from a distance) I am currently not getting that from my current setup. I figured the versatility of having 4 cabs would be nice anyways. The only thing running through the PA is keyboard and vocals. We have to borrow PA's for the time being since we don't have our own and since there are no subs I figured running through the PA wouldn't help much since I should be able to get loud enough with an 8x10. From all the posts about PA's I'm guessing I'm wrong lol I'll try the wireless to see how it sounds from a distance.