1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any chance of an opinion?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by coralfankevin, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Hi, the new band's just finished mixing its first song and I was wondering if all you lovely TBers could let me know what you reckon to it?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin
    The Jacaranda Chaos Band

2. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I liked it well enough, something seemed a bit odd with the mix but I can't quite put my finger on it... maybe a mix of the guitar being a bit buried and the snare drum a bit high in the mix with the exact sound I hate to hear in a snare drum?

Either way, I liked the song. Nice fresh mix of influences yet still radio friendly, probably will do quite well with the target demographic.

btw, I hated the video... it makes the band look amateurish, which is odd since the music sounds more mainstream-y. It sort of clashes, and not really in a good way.

3. Yeah, I thought the guitar was a bit too quiet too, which is odd as it was all mixed by the guitarist. I thought the snare was alright personally, so it'll be interesting to see what other people think.

As for the video, that was all me so I can be held directly responsible for any crapness. What I was going for was something that didn't look too pretentious, but rather made us look like we didn't take ourselves too seriously. I don't know if you've ever seen it but kind of like the video to Iron Maiden's 'Holy Smoke'.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply!

Kevin

4. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Well, I think the guitar could do with a slightly better EQing... maybe brighten it up a bit, it's probably the tone more than the volume. The snare thing is just a personal distaste, I HATE that snare tone... being a long time percussionist it just sounds like a cheap drum to me.

I totally "got" what you're doing with the video, but I doubt the average viewer wants that. I'd say the whole "hey, we don't take ourselves seriously" thing is more an indie/underground sort of persona. I think the general mainstream music listener WANTS that bit of disconnect, the "larger than life" thing. It's the whole "hey, I could do that" attitude that is usually stated in a negative way if refering to top 40 style stuff, but a positive for "underground" groups. It just seems like you're maybe spinning the image the wrong way.

5. Thanks, I'll make sure the guitarists gets this feedback: I'm sure it'll be very helpful. Oh, and the drummer's snare is rubbish in real life :)

Again, thanks. Definitely something to bear in mind for the future.

Kevin

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    hmmmm....this is tough. I respect the fact that you spent a lot of time doing this video - I really do. I'm sorry, but you have to do it over because this song is better than the video.
    My thoughts (you asked):

1) I like the drummer & the shots of him playing.
    2) The guitarist is good but yes, bring him up in the mix and a little brighter.
    3) You need to re-do the video becuase I really didn't need to see you take a crap.
    4) For the love of God stop staring at your fingerboard so much.
    5) Put some hot women in the video - I don't want to see them taking a crap either.

I have spoken.

7. I'd love to do it again: while I'm obviously not very good at it, it's a process I thoroughly enjoy.

Don't apologize for giving an opinion.

Thanks.

Yeah, I've told the guitarist his sound is a bit weird in this mix of the song, but he seems to like it.

Heh, okay :)

I'd rather get the song right.

Thankyou :)

8. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I enjoyed it!

I agree that the guitar should come up, but I rather liked his tone, so the EQ might not need to change.

Looking at the fretboard is cool looking style, IMO. If you aren't going to move around a lot on stage, it looks better if you focus on the instrument rather than staring somewhere else and doing nothing.

My immediate thought was the drums were a tad too loud, but as the song progressed it seemed ok.

I also agree that the song is much better than the video. Perhaps a future project to take on?

Overall, very good for a home made product.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    catchy tune... I like it.

I couldn't watch the vid, but I listened to the tune a couple time.

Liked the bass tone (and your line is pretty happening too)
    Liked the singing
    Liked the drums (playing and tone)

10. Thanks!

I normally move around a fair bit and watch the fretboard! I've been warned about this before, and I try to remember to look up, but I'd rather play something better and look down than something worse and look up :)

Definitely: as I said in my last post, it's something I genuinely enjoy doing, so doing another one would be fine by me. It''s just whether everyone would have the time to do another one...

Okay, new question for everyone: the video concept seems generally to have gone down very badly here, so what kind of direction do you all feel would (on a £0 budget) compliment this song better?

Kevin

11. JFace

JFace

Apr 17, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I liked the city shots. The song seems to have a retro feel (I really have no idea what that means, but that's the word that comes to my mind). You can keep the goofy shots ideas, just try to make them clever-goofy.