1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any chance there will be a Mesa Subway Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hevy T, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    any idea if there is some kind of beast like that on the horizon?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Not in the immediate future, but if there is enough interest then it's something that might be considered.

Any forum comments or interest?

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I would not be interested in such an animal myself. It would not fit any needs that I have.
    Not that I am against combo's. I used a Walkabout 12 combo for several years before I finally just pulled the head and used it with bigger, more efficient cabs.

A Subway combo would not have this problem with 800w of power on tap and 2ohms stable operation. But still, I would not vote for such a combo.

agedhorse likes this.
  4. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    With all of the gnashing of teeth over which subway cab to use, can you imagine the amount of complaining if someone’s favorite was not offered in the combo version? And then there’s the regular vs plus question. That’s potentially 6 new skus

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I still use my WA 112 combo occasionally and it is the only combo I have owned in many years. However, given the size and weight of individual components (like the SW line) and how convenient they are to transport, I think they have almost made combos at the higher price point level obsolete. The individual components are also more flexible/easily tailored for specific needs and involve no compromises in design.

I still see combos being a great option for new players or folks with simple needs and smaller budgets. At the SW level I just don't think a lot of musicians are all that interested in combos over individual components. Just think about all the cab swapping combinations folks are doing to fine tune their sound with SW rigs - that tells me something right there about how much individual components are valued/appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  6. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I would look to the acoustic market, both upright and ABG. Less power required, and benefits of all in one design help to offset the big bass schlep. Having said that, such an amp would work just as well for lower volume electric.

Single 10” plus a smooth tweet (dome), and two channels with xlr / 1/4” combo inputs, phantom power and reverb, maybe a few other fx. Similar to the Mesa acoustic amp but with low end extension. I prefer single 10” v 2x8” fwiw. 200-300 Watts, extension speaker out.

I use a combo along these lines all the time for acoustic trio. Each of us is self contained, I use one channel for my ABG and the other for mic, handles both monitors and mains duty at low volume. I’ve also at times plugged in two mics and used for a small PA.

Would also recommend some kind of tilt back for close monitoring, and a socket for mounting on a stick.

If something like that were available from Mesa I would have paid more for it then my current rig, though I have no complaints about what I’m using now.

Monterey Bay-ss and agedhorse like this.
  7. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Sounds like you would LOVE a Rosette combo

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    The easiest way to handle it (in my view) would be to pick one Subway cab and make it modular.

Let's say it's the 1-12. Every single 1-12 made would come with a removable plate allowing for the mounting of a Subway head (much like the Walkabout Scout only the hole would be covered when there's no head mounted in it).

It would only be sold separately. If you want a combo, get the head and a 1-12 cab.

Problem solved without the headaches of designing a bunch of different combos.

Just one guy's opinion.

9. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    I definitely looked at the Rosette on Mesa’s site, but seems to be oriented towards guitar. Haven’t seen one in person to try it out.

10. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Basically what was done with the Genz Benz Shuttles

11. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    It was designed for all acoustic instruments. Including upright bass

cavemanbass likes this.
  12. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    What would be the point? The Subway heads are light enough to easily carry in a shoulder bag (which is provided), so having them separate from the cab doesn't require any extra trips to load/unload for a gig.

13. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    but if you had a D800/800+ which was removable from the combo, it would make it easier to use with bigger/multiple cab configs.

14. Anachronism

Anachronism Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2014
    MO
    But that is what already exists. Unless the combo itself is desirable for some reason, there is no point.

Munjibunga and Al Kraft like this.
  15. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    got it. I already voted no on a Subway combo myself.
    but ... there are folks who do benefit from combo's and if it had a removable amp, it would make it more versatile.
    I rolled a Walkabout 12 around to about a million low volume rehearsals and small gigs before I just pulled the head from that combo and went with different cab configs.

Al Kraft likes this.
  16. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks for setting me straight @monkeyland! IMO the answer to OP’s question is that the SW combo already exists, it’s called Rosette! I just read through the manual a bit, and as you say it mentions acoustic bass... I suspect it would sound great on electric as well. One of these is very likely in my future....

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  17. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    This would (only) be appealing at big box stores, IMHO. If that’s a strategy Mesa decides to pursue, it could work. I could see the right price point being tough to achieve though.

18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There are Rosettes being used for upright and cello too.

/\/\3phist0 and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    At reasonable volumes, it's pretty flat and accurate but does not have anywhere near the low frequency extension of the Subways.

Monterey Bay-ss and Jim Carr like this.
  20. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Who needs a Combo when you can have 20180413_181659. best of both Worlds!!