Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any changes at Modulus?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chasarms, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Kind of a weird title for the thread, but I wanted to ask a question based on some observations.

I have playing out much, much more lately (mostly DB) and hanging almost exclusively over in TBDB, but I have noticed as of late that the used prices on Quantum basses have creeped up. (I'm in the hunt for a fretless five or one worthy of conversion)

Anyway, I was wondering if there was some change at Modulus that prompted this (like the new ones are made from old milk cartons) or perhaps it's just the circle of things.

I've been around long enough to know that there's always a what's hot and what's not thing with any brand of bass.

A year ago, you could snag a clean Q5 all day long and twice on Sunday for $1,300 or so. I have seen two or three turn on ebay for aroudn $1,800. That's a lot more than I payed for my mintish Quantum two years ago.

BTW, the Q5 is now the officially longest-owned and regularly-played bass to ever have a place in my now nearly 20 years of playing. Just got out of the studio with it. It's the best tone I have have ever gotton on tape.

2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The retail prices of the new ones just went way up!

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Yeah, they did a price increase recently :mad: .

I hope it's reflected in their lackluster Customer Service dept. :eyebrow:

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Charles! Nice to see you in toybass land.:)

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yep, there were changes...price changes. All Mods went up in price, and not just by a little either. That may or may not have an effect on the used prices, but I would say that I have seen many sell in the 1300-1500 neighborhood still over the past year or so since the price change.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Thanks, Jeff. Pleased to be here. I lurk on occasion, but haven't been compelled to rant in a while. No one listens to me anyway.

That's interesting about the price hikes. I guess Modulus likes their stuff these days. Although, I thought they were stupid expensive already. Worth it, but paying more for a bass than I did my first two cars COMBINED is a tough stretch for me.

BTW, Jeff.

If you get time, PM me your mailing address. I'm just wrapping up in the studio with a local Christian singer/songwriter on his all-original Christmas album. Doing about half and half DB and slab. It's really good. I'll send you one when the CDs get back.

7. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I totally agree...their prices already seemed to be pretty as it was before the hike. There were a couple of dealers near my place that dropped Modulus within the last year and a half. Part of the reason was that their basses sort of sat around anyway, even before the price increase. I know one of the shops sold both Zon and Modulus at the same time, and I can remember even when the econonmy was going good, there would be a constant new batch of Zons when I'd go in, but I'd only see a few new Modulus basses throughout the year. Another reason for the recent dumping of Modulus is from what I heard, Modulus hired all new reps(possibly sold again to another owner?), and apparently the new reps were pretty bad and didn't do much in service for these shops. Thought I'd throw that in there.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    All mods went up 6 bills at the retailer level about a year ago (I think)

The used market is making a big climb as well. I am looking for a flea 4, and it seems finding one under 1200-1500 is rare (althought I just sold my flea5 for 900, and the guy had the nerve to bitch). I have my quantum 6 on the bay now, hoping the market scoops it up at a good price.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Can't say I'm surprised. I always thought Modulus Quanta were amazing bargains considering their quality, especially once they started using primo figured maple. Now, I think they're more fairly priced (unfortunately for us players).

The price hike didn't help me: I recently let my Q5 go for $1200 + shipping.... apparently, the marketplace doesn't hold the Greenstone color in very high regard. (P.S. I only sold my Q5 because I have another bass coming in... if the Q5 had 19mm spacing I would've kept it and sold another from my collection).

10. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    You know, I have noticed that the Greenstone color has a terrible resale for whatever reason. I sort of like the color. I probobly wouldn't want it as my first choice, but they do seem to sell for about $200-$400 cheaper than the others. The Blackstone seems to sell the for the most of all the colored Q's that I have seen.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    My blueburst quantum 6 just closed on ebay yesterday for just over $1000, no reserve :(

12. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I've recently contracted a case of Modulus GAS, I like wide spacing and the spacing on their 6es seems HUGE! If I had the means to get one my first choice would probably be one of their purples (seeing as I already have a seafoam green bass) but the Greenstone would be my 2nd choice for sure. I followed your Greenstone Q5 ad (checked it regularly),and if it was a 6 or a fretless 4 I probably would have bought it.

13. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Man i loved that bass, I was contemplating selling my bass for it, but i dont think i could have get enough. I think the greenstone is one of the nicest colors they have!

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Me too! Has the Sea Foam Green vibe, but transparent over nice quilt... very cool in my book; might've been the prettiest bass I've ever owned. Thanks for the comment... I'm sorry you couldn't collect the funds in time!

15. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Nope, it's 17mm or so, not huge at all.

I miss my Q6 to death, just sold it like 2 weeks ago to pay for my BD7. :meh: and Ryan won't sell it back either :smug:

I may have a new sixer coming anyway, in the not too distant future tho - and it's gonna have as close to the Mod's neck shape and size as I can get it. ;)

16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    and which company/luthier will have the delight of fabricating this instrument?

On another note, I really want to try something with a graphite neck, and the different purple /pinkish -purple on blue whatever shades they have on quilt maple are so yummy....