Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any chorus pedals I've overlooked?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Sundance, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    I'm going to be buying a chorus pedal most likely, the old vintage 80s Ibanez Bi mode chorus (not the new one with 2 knobs, this one has 4, 2 for speed and 2 for depth). I've tried the following: most of the Boss CE and CE-B (not the super chorus though) and the Digi bass stereo chorus (and guitar, but that sounds like crap on bass). I'm trying to get something that sounds really unique and brilliant but can be controlled really well and adjusted. The old Ibanez just tops the others I've tried, and at $65 used is a great bargain (at a used store, they go on ebay for $100). It's really a guitar pedal but sounds awesome on bass. So what else might seem like a canidate that I missed? I looked at the Small Clone and passed it by, mostly because it just has 1 knob and I don't believe it can be customized as well as others. I know I've just covered the major brands, but are there others that are worth considering too? Thanks.

PS Maybe pods or multi boards that have good chorus?

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You've overlooked EBS. They aren't cheap, but I've never heard a chorus pedal that I have liked more.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Bob mentioned the EBS

Fulltone choralflange
    TC Electronics SCF Chorus/Flanger
    AnalogMan Clone Chorus (my personal favorite)

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    The Danelectro Cool Cat is an excellent chorus...especially for the price. $80. Sounds great for bass.

5. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    Some of the even older Ibanez chorus pedals a very nice - CS-505 and CS-9. I know the pedal you're talking about, it's quite good as well.

BTW - I've got a CS-505, and it sounds great. I've also got a UE-303B mulit effects floor unit, that has the Chorus/Flanger, Compressor and Auto Filter, and that's a great unit. They're pretty cheap, too - you can pick 'em up off Ebay for less than what the indvidual Auto Filter pedal would cost.

6. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    I probably should have mentioned that unless I get an overwhelming recommendation for one pedal, I'll probably go with one that it's possible for me to hear, since I'm in the market for other things now as well. The first couple of things you guys mentioned aren't sold anywhere around my area (the EBS says they only have one dealer in America, though I doubt that's entirely true). I know a fair amount of the the used stores in the Baltimore area, and none of them have much that's very exotic. The biggest chance that I'd have of finding something to try like that around is a used place in DC, and that's almost 2 hours away, so it would have to be a pretty glowing recommendation for me to drive all the way down there (calling to see if they have it is no big deal though). Or if anyone else knows of a good place for used stuff in the northern Maryland/Pennsylvania area, I'm ears. I don't know places in Phily, but again that's a long enough drive to warrant a powerful recommendation; it's closer than DC, but not by much.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    EBS has only one distributor in America. They've got many dealers...

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You're going to get recommendations for them all, all of the ones I mentioned are very good chorus pedals - just a question of what one fits your needs.

You haven't mentioned what your criteria are, which doesn't help making a specific recommendation. Cost? Ease Of Use? Features? (e.g. chorus/flanger/true bypass)

You can order most if not all online from
    http://analogman.com
    http://pedalgeek.com
    http://musictoyz.com

All of these places have return policies.

9. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    I mentioned some criteria, but it's probably too loose to narrow things down greatly. I'm not after a specific sound I can hear, but mostly somtething that's pretty dynamic and versatile (but aren't we all?). I play all kinds of music, mostly jazz-related, and some "older" rock, or staying away from most "heavy" rock. That doesn't put a whole lot of light on criteria for a pedal though, since I'm looking for something that I haven't heard yet (or remember hearing) but something I can play with a get some really characteristic sounds out of. I'm not entirely sure what a Flanger specifically does, but I've heard enough of them to have some basic idea. Of course you couldn't be totally "specific" about what a chorus necessarily does either, since I've heard some choruses that sound just like a phaser and an octaver that lets you control the volume of the seperate octaves and does nt much else (the new Digitech one, IMO). I'm looking for something, like I said, with more "character". It's a pretty loose description, yeah. I don't think price is a big issue, since I'd rather save for something I like than get something I'd sooner replace. So having a flanger or something kind of as subtle as a chorus can be is a bonus, but only if the flanger adds something good the the mix. I'd really have to hear it first, like I said. I'd like to have something that I can live with and get lots of use out of singularly.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Boss Dimension C. Really cool sounding, but can't take too hot of a level, or it will distort. Try before you buy, if you can find one.

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i am sure that this is bass blasphemy, but the ebs chorus didn't do much for me. i didn't really get a WHOLE lot of opportunity to mess with it, but in the short amount of time i spent with it...it was just kind of "meh." which isn't a good feeling for a $300 pedal.

i, too, am looking for a good chorus pedal, so i might as well ask for advice, too.

i play an active bass (czech spector 5-string...or czechtor, as i call'em) and am looking for a pedal that is $80 at the most that can do the chorused-bass-from-the cure-type sound. and perhaps a subtle flanging, too, but that is not a priority. i'd like the chorus to sound as "wet" as possible.

the brands i've been thinking about are digitech, boss, and ibanez. i would like to buy new. true-bypass, obviously, is not a concern.

thanks in advance.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Rocktron Tsunami. Distinctive and powerful.
    Jacques MeisterSinger. Analogic tone in modern box. Very similar to old Boss and Ibanez Delays.

13. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    It's kind of hypocritical, but I can try and steer Brad in the right direction, even though this is my own asking-for-advice- thread. However, I've played with most of the brands you've talked about, and I've got to say that the one I've found used tops them all. Not many good Boss or Digi choruses that I've seen top the Ibanez Bi-Mode (which I guess is just an old-timey word for Stereo) chorus. I hear that Ibanez has really gone downhill though, and the recent re-issue of the same pedal isn't a versatile. For a really sweet, subtle-to-boomy chorus, that old Ibanez one does the best IMO. Two speed knobs kick ass too, they're just so versatile. If you insist on getting one of the other brands, I think the Boss has more charcter to it, the complaints I have about the Digi Stereo Chorus you can read about above. I haven't actually tried out the newer Ibanez ones, but just what I've heard and the fact that they have less knobs suggests less controlability, though there's a chance that they could have a good sound to begin with. Anyway, if the one I've mentioned seems worthwhile, they sell on ebay for around $90+, or you can try and find one used in a store which might not be too hard. From there on out you'd either have to pay more or find some lesser carried brands to try out. I'm pretty sure the one I'm praising is called the Ce-9 Bi-mode chorus.

Edit: As for wet and dry, I think the Bosses sounded kind of dry to me, the Digi's were a bit "wetter" but lacked in vividness. Digi's just sounded so dull to me, like they just had that one basic sound to them and all you can really control are speed (which you can just get a phaser for is you want that), octave volume (the more subtle kind, not like the octaver pedals) and very basic intensity. Again, the Ibanez one has wet in spades, maybe the newer models do too.

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    sundance and jazz ad: thanks for the advice.

i will leave this thread alone after this post, as it isn't mine. lol.

yeah, i wasn't impressed with the digitech, either. i played it a week ago or so (when i tried out the mesa rig!), and it didn't do much for me at all.

i'll do some research about the ibanez boxes. thanks.

15. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    The EBS is just too good to be true. If you're lucky, you can score one at the secondhand market. When I first plugged my bass in and played through it, instead of a Boss Chorus I couldn't believe my ears. My knees went weak en something began growing just between my legs. And I put on weight half a kilogram. (That's how it is said in english isn't it? This TB gives me great practise in english too!)

Just try it and you'll laugh at other peoples sound afterwards. :D

16. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    I tried the Danelectro today, it's really awesome, better than the Digis and Boss, at the same price. Not quite as good as the Ibanez Bi-mode, though it's got more "shimmer" than the Ibanez, it just doesn't have as much warmth and fullness. A very close second though. Also tried the EHX Clone, and as I suspected, it's pretty much a one-trick pony. I'm taking you guys' advice and going to the most notorious used store tomorrow that's 2 hours away from my house to try out the EBS as well as some other high-end chorus pedals. The guy at the store listed the EBS at around $150 I think, much less than the retail price.

17. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    That is a real bargain, over here they cost about 250 euro. That's a lot more dollars than 150!

But I got mine in discount as well... :D

18. Sundance

Sundance

Jul 24, 2004
    I bought the EBS. Really versatile. The thing I didn't like about choruses in general is that they don't usually preserve enough natural bass tone, but I'm almost finished constructing a blend pedal so that might fix some problem. The EBS came really close to the Ibanez Bi-mode, but the Ibanez was a little weird with lows sometimes and wasn't as versatile, though the chorus tone came VERY close to that of the EBS. I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to spend $250 on an EBS and just wants a very good chorus effect. Tried the vintage Ibanez CS-505 too, man that was awesome, tore up the lows and mids, even added a little bit of kind of distortion that I liked, but the unit I was trying out was in pretty bad shape or I might have got it instead of the EBS. Hope this thread helps anyone who wants to know about buying choruses.

Edit: got the EBS used and in perfect condition (minus a screw missing from the bottom) for $120 even.