1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Clues To Yamaha/ Ampeg ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ezra1, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Any Clues as what to expect ?
    I would love an accurate Portaflex B15 reissue.
    Also some of the basses.

2. meower

meower

Mar 11, 2014
    san diego
    New 410 I could use with my 212 would be dope.

3. I would imagine that ampeg will remain free to continue with their current plans and business model.

4. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Every future SVT will have 7 of Nathan East’s chest hairs embedded in it.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I will pay no more than a $100 per hair premium on top of the regular price for that.

6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble SUSPENDED

Mar 8, 2010
    Whatever the future may bring, I am prepared.

m.

Arthur U. Poon, jmlee, kobass and 4 others like this.
  7. who is this Nathan East you speak of? :wacky: Just kiddding.

Mvilmany likes this.
  8. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Personally, they could just continue with the lines that were introduced under Loud. If Yamaha could just transfer their Quality Assurance (QA) practices and ethics to the Ampeg folks that would be huge.

I am not saying that, in the sense that Ampeg, under Loud, was worse at QA than any other company.

It is just that Yamaha is pretty much top of the heap at QA. If Yamaha can just transfer their QA practices to their new subsidiary, it would be a huge win for everyone; consumers included.

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Japan isn't scared to be bold. I and really interested to see what they come up with... or go back to.

Look at Fender Japan as an example. Sure, they kept one eye on respect for the legacy of tried-and-true Fender designs. But they also got bold and tried new takes on thos old designs as well (the Aerodyne comes to mind) while still maintaining quality and a nod to tradition.

I'm excited to see what they do with it. I think they will play to both ends. They will keep going with some vintage designs. And they will throw us some curveballs with new and exciting features designed around the "Ampeg sound".

Ampeg and Mesa are the two companies to keep an eye on moving forward. Two old names with long traditions in bass sound that will continue to push the envelope of technology.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well personally, I think it's time to update the micro lines. They are good designs, but I'd like to see more tube preamp integration.

johnpbass, iagtrplyr, ezra1 and 2 others like this.
  11. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I really like my PF-350. It’s well thought out and sounds louder than 350 watts and the build quality is excellent. Now it would be interesting if Ampeg/Yamaha really got into micro’s and ultralight cabs. :smug:

iagtrplyr likes this.
  12. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    I'm risking spray painting the holy grail here; but how about a lighter SVT by replacing the heavy power transformer with a SMPS. It has already been done reliably in the Peavey VB-3. It works well. The only thing it might change tone wise is the power supply sag attributes. That could be quantified and baked into the SMPS. Of course keep the signal path unchanged.
    A 45 pound SVT?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I thought the VB-3 was decent when I tried it, but it didn't make me want to sell my SVT's. I am willing to try it, but if I were them, I wouldn't be discontinuing the regular ones.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  14. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    I didn't mean to compare the Peavey VB-3 to the SVT. They are absolutely different beasts. I was just saying that there is existing, proven bass tube amp power supply technology that could POSSIBLY result in a lighter weight version of the SVT.

For the record I got my first Ampeg when I was thirteen years old, an SB-12, and have been a continuous Ampeg owner ever since. Including four different editions of all tube SVT's. I am now 68 years old. My current Ampeg is an SVT IIP that I use for recording.

JimmyM likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I had no problem with your post, bro :D Actually I'd be very interested to hear what an SVT with an SMPS sounds like.

16. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    I definitely would be concerned that ANY change that large would alter the fundamental Ampeg SVT mojo.

17. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    As long as there are sound companies that provide professional backline and FOH... as long as there are arenas and large venues... as long as there are late night talk shows that provide entertainment... there will be classic SVT's. Successful bands with road crews will move SVTs and 810s. They aren't going anywhere in our foreseeable future.

JimmyM and ezra1 like this.
  18. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I'd really like to see the B-200R Rocket Bass combo reissued with lightweight cabinetry. Great-sounding tube/SS hybrid amp, but fraught with QC issues - and if GK can make a 500w lightweight combo that won’t rattle itself apart, surely the Ampeg/Yamaha tag team can make a 200w amp that's just as solid.

JimmyM likes this.
  19. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I suspect we will witness their class D line jump in a huge way. More control features, power handling, and modeling options. This could also come in the way of more lightweight hybrid amps and modern 300 watt tube options.

johnpbass likes this.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well they do have the BA210 v2 :D