any combos around with a bit of grunt?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tommytrousers, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Hey guys,
    Superb site. Here’s the scenario. I’ve been playing my ric thru a 1980 hiwatt dr103 and a roost 4x12 for years. I just got the hiwatt fully serviced and I wanna send it into semi-retirement cuz it’s a classic and I wanna make sure it’ll be around for years to come.Cuz I never needed to play anything else I am way out of the loop on decent amps around at the moment. As you can imagine I play punk/metal kinda stuff and have that mid-range Lemmy style overdriven sound. For practical reasons I wanna get a combo but don’t know if it is possible to get any kind of grunt out of one. Will a SS amp ever give me a bit of snarl like the hiwatt?. Was looking at the Ampeg BA115, could it even possibly do a job for me? Volume isn’t an issue as I only ever play small bars and my band’s practice space is tiny .Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I can't help a lot but can give some ideas to consider...

If you're seeking a midrangy overdriven tone, you'll probably want a combo that has an overdrive section...don't know if the BA115 does...I believe the Gallien-Krueger Backline series does.

Since you're used to four 12 in. speakers...a combo with a 15 would be a good idea to help with the low end.

I really don't know what brands you have available in Ireland.

Peavey has what looks to be a new line of Max bass combos. Looking at, they over a vintage mode with Peavey's Transtube emulation for 60s/70s grit.

I was quite impressed by the tone (especially overdrive) of the Roland Bass Cube 30. They make a Cube-100 Bass with a coaxial 12 that might be worth checking out... The amp models in the cube sounded really good to my ear...

Have fun!!!!
  3. hm, if you are used to that hiwatt sound which i also am into...
    ashdown has some ss and hybrid combos that sounds quite ok.
    or why not look at some 2x12 guitarcombos like an ampeg vt-22?
  4. Artisan

Apr 14, 2004
    I would consider a 2x10 equipped combo running at least 400 watts.

I own a pile of amps. None of the tiny combos, except the Behringer BX1200, kicks sufficient ass to be heard in a live band. This includes an Ampeg B100R. It is nice for playing bar mitzvahs and weddings if you are doing cover tunes, very quietly. It lacks many of today's niceties (outputs, etc.)

A 15" speaker is a good jack of all trades, as long as it also has an HF horn of some sort. A 2x10 set up would probably be better for the sound you described that you wanted.

Nothing is going to replace those 4x12's except another 4x12 set up or 2x12/15's with an HF horn.

Give the 2x10 combos a look. You might be surprised. Some of those rascals get seriously loud for their size. Unfortunately, they are also seriously heavy, if they are any good.
  5. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I had an Eden Metro which was very loud and correspondingly heavy. It was a very nice sounding combo with nice mid grunt IMO.
  6. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    The Peavey BAM 210 gets seriously loud and with it's amp modeling, you can get just about any sound you want.

300 watts into two eminence 10's. With a 4 ohm extension cab (Yes, the BAM goes down to 2 ohms easily), it will kick out 500 watts. It kicks some serious booty.

I had one, but I got out of the music biz for a while, and sold it. Got a new gig that was too good to pass up and wished I never sold it.
  7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    The Ampeg you're speaking of is really, really loud. But I wouldn't say its "snarly" or "gruntish" (if that's even a word) as much as I would say that it delivers excellent clarity and punch.

A good "snarly", "gruntish" combo amp would be a Gallien-Krueger Backline series. I used to have a Backline Series head. They have a killer overdrive section.
  8. thanks fo all the advice.Have narrowed down the search to a couple of choices. Thanks to mud flaps for mentioning 'punch', my least favourite tonal flavour in modern amplifiers!, I'm happy in the stone-age sludge spectrum re; bass sound and am quite willing to wallow there for the foreseeable future!
  9. I too have been out of the loop for awhile then called back about a month ago....I know Hartke is not mentioned here much but I did pic-up a Hartke A100 combo with the aluminum 15" driver also a 7band eq, xlr output and a built in limiter, effects send etc.....100watts and I have no problem with small gigs, practice. Good lows, mids.
    Thought you'd like to know....................