Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any comments on EBS amps/cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Diezel420, Mar 5, 2001.

1. I recently was looking at high-end setups that I wish I had. I play EVERYTHING: rock, metal, jazz, funk, fusion, pop, you name it. And I was curious about Swedish amp makers EBS, with their 620-watt Fafner head and big-power cabs. Just wondered if anyone had any idea on the sound/quality/campatibility to wide ranges of music/value of these high-end amps.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Big EBS fan here. Love 'em to death! :D

The basic sound of an EBS amp (and cabinet) is very transparent and modern. Tone filters may look a bit too simple for some, but they work very well. Unless you're a vintage freak, it's pretty easy to find a sound you like. They're very responsive to dynamic playing, and the built-in compressor is AFAIK one of the best built-in compressors there are.

They are well built, and have no major reliability issues. Almost the only thing that has happened to older EBS amplifiers is the circuit board solderings being loose after a number of years. It's a simple surgery for any tech, if you only know what's to be done (this took some time to find out when it happened to me).

As far as I'm concerned the Fafner ought to fit for (almost?) every type of music. The EBS cabinets are (naturally) a perfect match for the head (or at least very close to perfect).

Try it out (if you can), I don't think you'll be disappointed. EBS gear might be a bit pricey (especially outside Sweden), but it's definitely worth the price.

3. I got my EBS Fafner last friday and now I´m very happy man. Fafner has very effective filters and tone controls make the amp multi-facetted. The Drive control does great things with the sound character. Fafner is the amp suiting for many different music styles. I think you should try one. I think Fafner is made for You! At the moment I have only one EBS 210 cap, but I´m waiting for EBS 410 and 115F. I have to wait one more month.. I waited the Fafner SIX months, but I can tell, it was worth it! I live next to Sweden and still I had to wait EBS gear so long. I heard they ship almost all the EBS gear to Japan and the States.. Hope you got one.. Good Luck!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It may be that Fafner rules. I like 'em. Yep, maybe they rule.

5. How much did you guys pay for your Fafner?I just got an EBS catalog from Matthews and Ryan today.(I felt like a kid at Christmas.)I'm definitely interested and would like to know how much this will set me back.I'm in the market for something "different".

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, I haven't bought mine yet, but a date for the purchase is set. I have made a deal with a guy for a used Fafner and EBS 4x10" cabinet. 12000 SEK (~US $1200) for the whole set, and he'll toss in a UniChorus pedal as well. All parts in mint condition. He'll even drive it to my door (he'll be here for a Mike Stern concert and brings the gear with him). Oh am I a happy man, or am I? :)
    Probably too good to be true, but I'll see about that next month...

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Deals like mine are rare in the states, though...

For new gear list prices are:

Fafner $1,799
    EBS-410 $1,199
    EBS-115 $799
    EBS-210 $799

(source: www.musicgearonline.com)

I doubt they sell for less than 85% list.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sometimes when I look at the real high end rigs, I think, "Just do it," and get a custom rig built by Rich Koerner at www.timeelect.com/Welcome.htm

Then I check the bank balance.... :rolleyes:

9. Hey Oysterman,thanks for the info.If that deal does go down with that dude,good for you!!! I honestly believe that paying around a grand or so isn't too much to ask for great tone.(I just bagged a City job,that's why I can talk some trash about cash.)WooHoo!!!

10. Fafner $1,300
    and EBS 210 cap $580;
    The cap was once used by Victor Bailey, he was in Pori Jazz festival, Finland last summer. How is this possible? Jan-Olov Strandberg is a pro bass player dealing EBS gear to Finland. He is a friend of Victor Bailey and Marcus Miller. I visited his home last week and he played to me three new songs of new Marcus Miller- album. Jan-Olov visited Marcus´s studio last month.
    I have to wait for those EBS 410 and 115F caps for three more weeks..
    EBS 410 $1, 050
    EBS 115F $ 700
    All brand new!

12. I played throught the Fafner and its 4x10 cab last year and liked it a lot. Great and versatile tone.

However, I was completely seduced by the Euphonic Audio 2x10 which needs LOTS of power. Hence, I got a Crown K2 power amp and Kern preamp. They didn't have an EBS preamp to try out but I've 'read' good things about that too.

I don't mean to take away from EBS. It is a wonderful piece of amplification.

13. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    I've been contemplating over the Fafner (and EBS cabinets) for a long time, I just haven't been able to A/B compare it other gear. The LA Bass exchange quoted me $1260 and I've though about pairing it up with a Epifani 2x12".

Jim, how does the Kern/Crown set-up compare to the Fafner?

O-man: Are SEK Sweden Krona? For that price, it's almost worth shipping over yourself!

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yep.

16. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    ebs stuff rock's,played the fafner head & 4'10 ebs cab,at the l.a.bass exchange and man i kid you not i thought i was boosty or something.you must check it out.it truly ROCKS.

17. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Any one try the EBS preamp? If so how much (I hate those inflated MSRP's)?

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oh man! Where have I been? An EBS thread and I haven't even chimed in yet? G-d FORGIVE ME!!!

Anyway, I think my take on the Fafner and 4x10 (by EBS, of course) is one of the most dynamic rigs I've ever owned, let alone heard! I bought it almost a year ago and haven't looked back! I get this really growling tone out of my Spector with this rig, that just kills me every time I play it!

It's an incredibly punchy setup, too! The first time I tried it out, I did my little slap impersonation (and, that IS an overstatement...I can't slap worth a crap!), and BAMM! I nearly got knocked off my feet!

This stuff just plain ol' rocks! It's versatile to the point where I don't think there's a tone I CAN'T get! Check out the EBS website, download the manual for the Fafner, and you'll notice a dozen or so suggested presets for sounds like blues, slap, funk, rock, etc...they're really true to form!

I got mine from Rawn Randall at r2musical in the states. He sold me a demo (supposedly used by...Victor Bailey for a 3 hour show...hmmm...sound familiar???) Anyway, he sold me the Fafner for $995 and the 4x10 for about $700 or $800 (I can't remember for sure). He's no longer the EBS distributor (Mathews and Ryan is), but he may still have some stuff in stock. Check with him. Really nice guy!

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oyster...how do you manage to sleep at night, waiting and waiting...:confused:

20. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    OK O-man, I have to ask.

If you paid 12000 SEK for your whole rig, that means you paid about 7100 SEK for the Fafner amplifier (or about $710 for a NEW FAFNER). It couldn't cost more that $100 US for shipping.

What power is in Sweden (e.g. 120v 60 Hz) and what language are the controls in (not as important as power - obviously)

Thanks