Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any country music fans out there?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by junior, Jun 24, 2001.

1. junior

junior

May 6, 2001
    Austin, Tx
    I pop in here from time to time, mainly just to read, but I was wondering if anyone here liked C&W music? Seems like everyone fits neatly into punk, jazz, or blues. I've been looking for some tabs for George Strait. If anyone kmows of any please let me know.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Welcome to the board junior. Yes, I'm a fan... No, I don't know of any George Strait tabs. Have you tried the tab library here, or the one at www.basstabarchive.com ?

-robert

3. Yes. there's a few fans here, like me.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Hi, Jr.
    Yes I love country music. Not the new CMT crap, but real country music is great.

I also love to play bluegrass. Of course I'm probably the only TB member who does.

Pkr2

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hey Pkr2, don't be so hasty, Brother! I love bluegrass and "real country" myself. Having a blast with my upright and this stuff lately. Nice change after years of loud rock and smoky bars.

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    mchildree , O.K. brother. I like the term "real country". I'll be using that term too from now on.

Somehow I don't feel so much like the Lone Ranger now. :)

Pkr2

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    By the way Mchldree, If you havent heard Marshall Wilborn's CD "Root Five", you owe it to yourself to get it. This guy makes simple sound fantastic.

It's published by Pinecastle records. http:// pinecastle.com

No, this ain't spam. I'm just a satisfied customer.

Pkr2

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    If you mean the likes of Hank Sr. and The Man in Black sure, don't like the pop stuff though.

9. Hey guys, count me in too! I love the REAL country music. Buck, Webb Pierce and the like. I get to perform it now after years of having to act like i'm enjoying playing stuff passing as country. It's just so much more fun for me to play and sing tradional country and rockabilly. The Derailers are about my favorite as far as current real country bands go. Saw them live again the other night. Every musician should go see them just to learn the proper use of dynamics. They are so good at it it's scary.
    I love bluegrass too. Some of my favorites are Jim & Jesse, Ralph Stanley(he and Jim Lauderdale made a great cd together last year), Rhonda Vincent, Del McCoury band, and of course the Soggy Bottom Boys! Trent

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hellecasters only.
    Any hints for similar bands/projects?

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Right on Trent! I love the Soggy Mt. Boys. Every time I see the video I think of the hundreds of pickers that they remind me of. Good stuff.

Pkr2

12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hey Trent, I just saw Rhonda Vincent a couple of weekends ago. Man, that woman and her band put on a helluva show! Nice to see that kind of energy being put into bluegrass. Everybody in the band actually broke a sweat at an air-conditioned indoor show.

Pkr2, thanks! I'll check out the Marshal Wilborn. I'm kind of new to this stuff myself, and any good recs for listening are great. I've got tons of the old Masters, but hearing the new stuff is good too.

13. Yeah, i just think Rhonda Vincent has such a clean and appealing voice. She had a somewhat brief foray in country music a few years back, but went back to bluegrass. It's no doubt for the best in her case anyway. My favorite song by her though it from her country period, "I'm going under cuz i'm not over you". I could listen to her sing all day.
    Pkr2, i'm sure you know that the "Soggy Bottom(not mtn) boys" are actually members of Union Station, Allison Krause' band, along with some other "super pickers" like Jerry Douglas and Stuart Duncan. Dan Tyminski, not George Clooney, sings lead on "Man of constant sorrow". Ralph Stanley has been performing the song for many years. Isn't it amazing how stuff suddenly becomes "cool" to the unwashed masses when a movie comes out. lol Trent

14. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I did know that ,Trent. For some reason Soggy Bottom Boys makes Me think of Flatt & Scruggs' Foggy Mt. Boys. I like Union Station just fine with Alison K. but I like bluegrass a little rawer than A.K.

It don't get much rawer than the Soggy bottom Boys, does it?

BTW, thanks for the correction. :)

Pkr2

15. yes, in fact i'd say ALL country fans are "out there."

*ducks*

16. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Be nice DHC. :)

You ought to try a little shot of bluegrass. It's finger picking good and more fun than eatin' dirt.

Pkr2

17. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I am really into the insurgent country bands like Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Son Volt, Jayhawks, Buffalo Nickel, Old 97's. It is essentially rock with country accents. Living in Bakersfield CA, I have checked out Buck and the Buckaroos at the Buck Owens shrine, i.e. the Crystal Palace. Buck's bass player is a silver haired gentleman that has been with him for many years now. They still play Friday and Saturday nights.

18. I really like Gram Parsons, and the Flying Burrito Brothers, and some of the more country oriented rock groups, like Buffalo Springfield.

19. yeah, i appreciate a healthy dose of country/bluegrass now and again. i just saw the opportunity for a lame joke and jumped on it. can't help m'self.