Any Cream-Era Jack Bruce nerds here? When did he switch to the EB-3?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jason the fox, Aug 29, 2013.

1. jason the fox

jason the fox Often rocks and rarely rolls.

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Hey all - I posted this over in the 'Bassists' form but I'm hoping it might see a little more action over here. My apologies if this isn't the place for it; mods, feel free to move it out if need be.
    Anywho..

Any big Cream nerds here? Trying to get some solid info on when Jack Bruce started using the Gibson EB-3 during his time with Cream.

I know he had been using a Fender Bass VI and possibly a Danelectro at some point up to and during the recording of Fresh Cream. Most of what I can find seems to say he started using the EB-3 (or EB-3s) during the recording of Disraeli Gears and basically used it exclusively (live and studio) up until the mid/late 70s, and my ears want to tell me the same thing - but I just don't know for sure.

Been listening to the 'BBC Sessions' live album. As far as I know, the performances of each song are in chronological order between 1966-1968. I've been trying to figure out at which point the bass tone changes from Fender VI/Danelectro to EB-3.

Hoping someone here can nail it. No other reason than I'm curious and would like to settle that.

Karli likes this.
  2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Yet I'm pretty sure (Sunshine of your love dvd) Jack started to play EB3s from early 1967 on.

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: are we goin' to open a Cream Club here?
    I'm with you, even if my favorite EB3 colors are pelham blue and alpine white: neither black nor (traditional) cherry red;)

Karli likes this.
  3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    FYI: "White Room" is Danelectro Longhorn.

Karli likes this.
  4. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I saw them on tour after Disraeli Gears. EB-3 all the way.

5. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    One of my favorite song of all time...

Anyway... recorded versions show Bruce with many different options

I thought OP was mainly referrin' to gig setup from the man...
    That's where EB3 walk, the most often, in.

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Thanx

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Really, wow. Come to think of it, it seems to punch a little more, almost seems more authoritative in the mix.

Is Disraeli Gears all EB-3?

8. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Though trained on the upright bass, Jack Bruce took a liking early on to small, short-scale electric basses. One of his first was the Fender Bass VI, a 6-string bass tuned EADGBE like a guitar, but one octave lower. Jack recorded most of Fresh Cream with this bass, before moving to the classic Gibson EB-3, the sound of which he made famous during Cream's live tours.

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I've been told by a source I trust that DG was all Danelectro.

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    longhornjb.jpg

Karli likes this.
  11. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I believe Jack's EB-3 was a 1965. ( Nickel Hardware )
    He sold it to a private collector for big $$$$$
    My guess 1967 when he started playing it Live.

I also dig Jack's late 50's EB1 that he used for the 2005 Reunion.
    That bass hass a later 60's 34" neck.
    It sounds wonderful.

Karli likes this.
  12. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Ahh I see. Not doubting you - but what's the source? I'm curious to if there's more information available. Seems that most sources say he used the EB-3 on at least some of DG.

I've got no doubt that the Live Cream (Vol 1 and 2) are EB-3. Can't quite tell what's what on the BBC Sessions.

13. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Bass teacher who studied with Steve Swallow - I believe Swallow related the story to him.

14. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

Very cool. Changes my perspective on the Danelectro longhorn. I've never played on in person, but if that's what Jack is playing on that record, it's got a much rounder and fuller sound than I've come to assume. Then again, that could be a lot of EQ work from Pappalardi.

15. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    A friend who was there tells me Jack played his Bass VI with Cream for their entire concert in Stockholm, Sweden, in the spring of '67. I saw them in November that year, and by then it was the EB-3.

16. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada

So assuming that Fresh Cream was done with both the Fender VI and the Danelectro in mid 1966, and that Disraeli Gears was done with the Danelectro in May 1967, it looks like the EB-3 was picked up sometime mid-67.

I'm trying to get a handle on the live tone, BEFORE the Live Cream albums.

Studio-wise is one thing, but the recordings on the BBC Sessions record are likely moving from Fender VI/Danelectro into the EB-3 (the tracks are organised chronologically based on when they were performed between 66-68), but I'm honestly finding it tough to tell by listening.

Also - by Wheels of Fire, I've always thought he was playing the EB-3 for everything, but it looks like White Room may have been done on the Danelectro (as posted earlier in the thread).

People tend to associate Jack Bruce's work with Cream with the EB-3 but maybe there's not as much of it on record as we think?

17. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Karli and ezra1 like this.
  18. Cool link cdef. They should have mentioned his time in West Bruce and Laing too which has some of his best EB3 playing. Live 'N' Kickin' has some great jams.

ezra1 likes this.
  19. jason the fox

Jul 2, 2013
    Nova Scotia, Canada
  20. Whenever I listened closely to Badge, I always thought it was a fretless because the notes were so bloomy.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021