1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any Danelectro fraks out there?/lightweight basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgwatts, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Anybody else out there like them lightweight dano's/Jerry Jones'? I realize they are quirky and not taken seriously by many,But I like these things.:cool: Anybody have any recommendations for other lightweights that are More widely accepted,more "mainstream"?

2. I have a Dano double with a baritone neck. I've been toying with the idea of putting some Bass VI strings on it. Love the sound - real "ballsey". Lot's of fun to play as well.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I love them. I actually use as a main bass a '58 Longhorn reissue. the one with rosewood bridge a plastic tuners. sounds great live!

4. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I have an old Shorthorn bass. Love the sound of it. The bridge is just too much of a pain to work with. Since it's from the 60's, I'm reluctant to change it. I also can't get the 'e' string to stop flopping around. I've tried several different brands. LaBella makes a set with small ball ends for use on Dano basses. These are the best I can find, but the 'e' is still loose. I have toyed with the idea of completely modifying it with a new bridge, long scale neck, new tuners, but just don't have the courage. How do the newer DC basses compare to the Shorthorns? Oh, one other interesting fact-oid. I always thought that Fender came up with the neck tilt adjuster when they switched to the 3-bolt neck plate, but my Dano's 3 bolt w/neck adjuster clearly pre-dates Fender's by a decade. It's a bit different and the Dano doesn't have a plate, but it's the same concept.

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Here's my 2 Jerry Jones Longhorn Basses, 4 and 6 string.
    longhorns.

6. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I just traded for a Lakland Jerry Scheff, so far I think it's great. It has the Danelectro style Lipstick tube p/u's, (these are placed further apart than traditional jazz style p/u's) is rather light, and has a thin jazz type neck. Active electronics are standard (Bartolini 3 band if I'm not mistaken) but there is a bypass switch. Extreme tones out of this thing.

7. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    They may cost you a bit, but I really dig Hofners.
    I just got a Club Bass and it's freakin' smokin'!!!
    Different vibe from the Dano's, but lightweight as hell!! And short scale too!!
    Check it:
    DSC_0114.

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    This one pays the bills.
    hofnerclose.
    With a little help from his friend.
    eggricbyardlg.

9. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Very nice bassman!!!!

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Thanks Mike, have you settled on a switch setting yet On your Hoffie?

11. Scooperman

Scooperman

May 28, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Jerry Jones Neptune is what I use on 90% of my gigs these days. Right now it has 4+ years old flatwounds on it, but if I put new roundwounds on it I could probably use it on another 5% of the gigs. However, if I did that then it wouldn't be as optimized for the rootsy stuff. Besides, I gotta use my other basses for something!;)

12. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    DCs all the way :bassist: I can't say it enough - These basses have the ultimate punk bass tone... And they're light as hell!

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Sadowsky NYC.... extremely lightweight (some of the 4 strings are around 7 pounds)... small body size, big sound!

14. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Dude, your Sadowsky comparred to a Dano or my Hofner is a anchor!

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1... but he was asking about 'more traditional, mainstream sounding basses'. The NYC Sadowsky's are the lightest basses I've experienced that are full scale, full bodied basses (i.e., that compare favorably in tone to much heavier J style or P style or boutique basses).

The Hofner's and Dano's are stupid light, but they sound like... well... Hofners and Dano's... great, unique sound, but limited in application IMO. I wouldn't consider either the Hofner or the Dano mainstream... the Sadowsky NYC is about as mainstream as you can get, and even I (Mr. Ultra weight sensitive guy) think they are super comfortable and lightweight... worth every penny over the Metro for that pound or so of weight saving.

16. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    View attachment 36304
    I love this thing.Yea it's light,but it has a killer tone.
    The guys I play with love it's sound.Punchy like a boxer.
    You have to love the 2 octive neck.
    It's slowly becoming my tool of choice.

17. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

Well, fine then. :spit:
    I have two words for you:
    Parker Fly

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    great call on the Hofners. I also tried them and loved sound and feel. to be honest I still prefer both sound and feelwise the Dano. but the hofners are great, with the Club bass being my favourite.

what scares me a little bit on the hofners is the set neck construction. i don't know why but i prefers bolt ons...

19. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    My first bass when i started playing bass was an original Longhorn that I got in Seattle for $100. It was a store demo model. It came with roundwound strings (even though they hadn't been invented yet according to some experts at a bass gear magazine :) ) and had what we called in those days a twangy sound.

I played it with a hard pick and used it on live gigs for about a year until I had enough money for a Fender P in 1962. Through the low powered tube amps of those days it just sounded too un-basslike for the music of those days, but I did learn to play on it. The quality on those original models was a little shoddy.

A few years ago, when the first Korean re-issues came out I tried the Longhorn again. It sounded much like the original and, in the store, through a GK rig with its extended range compared to the early tube amps, had a very good sound. Much improved quality from what I remember too. I bought the long scale DC though and still have it. It's a nicely made bass and has much of the shorter scale Longhorn's qualities but a bit more solid E string sound. Quality is very good and the fretwork and neck is actually better than many USA made production basses. The whole bass is much better than the original.

I've played it a number of times on gigs when I want to give my shoulder a break on a long night. It does get a "rootsy" sound but, in my opinion, doesn't quite support the group as well as a P. The bottom end seems to drop out and it gets a bit thin when you get out in the audience. I have it strung with TI flats like most of my basses so you know what kind of sound I prefer.

I've tried the Jerry Jones in a store, and while it's a higher quality bass, I found it missed a little in the sound department from the original. However, I've heard the guy with NRBQ, Joey Spampanato, play his, along with his original Danelectros through big Ampeg tube rigs, and I can't hear a difference. He does go for a very dull thud of a sound though, which works great for NRBQ.

I haven't tried the newest re-issue yet. I see the bridge has been upgraded. Too bad, as I think the original design with the rosewood saddle contibuted much to the unique sound. Other contributing factors are the pickups and their placement.

I still play my DC and it's holding up well with no issues. The neck is amazingly stable in changing climates. I find it's a perfect bass to throw in a soft case when I have to make a quick trip to a rehearsal by subway. I love the light weight and in a small room it sounds very good.

20. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:D The are REALLY lightweight. I actually bought one when they first came out with the production models and ended up absolutely hating it though. Very, very tight string spacing on the 5, very strange feel in standing position, and a very anemic sound without the piezo blended in IMO of course). That's definitely another 'specialty bass' like the Hofner.... cool sounded for rather limited applications, but I wouldn't want one as my only bass.