1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any danger in opening my amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by speedkills, Feb 29, 2008.

1. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    I have an Ampeg SVT-6 Pro and my input jack is a bit "loose".
    (not the jack in the case, but the way it holds the cables.)
    When I plug certain inst. cables they pull in and out slightly
    and sometimes the signal is lost (especially if I move around).
    With other cables it's better, but the cables never really "snap" in.

I'd like to open it up and either squeeze the contacts
    together so they're more snugly gripping the cables,
    or replace the jack altogether.

Is there any danger opening the case?
    Do I need to watch out for anything storing voltage?

What else do I need to know before proceeding?

THANKS!!!

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm not a believer in WARNING labels, and often take 2X the recommended dosage it, BUT - I learned about prodding around in the back of an amp about 2 years ago. Similar problem to yours with a Peavey TNT and I got jolted where I was literally knocked on my butt and it took me some time to recover. If ya don't know what yer doin either be INCREDIBLY careful about where you're prodding around, or make sure the amp is unplugged and only plug it back in to check if you fixed what you were trying to fix.

3. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    I would of course make sure it was unplugged.
    I am wondering if even then there is something that could shock me.

I only intend to be in there for a couple of seconds while I check the jack.

If it needs to be replaced, I'd rather let someone else do it.
    If I can just squeeze the contacts and that will work, then I dont mind doing it myself.

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Yes - unplugging it is not a enough. Capacitors store electrons and are just waiting to shock you. Take it to a tech.

5. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    There is a way to discharge stored voltage (which from what I've heard can be more than enough to seriously harm you) but I haven't looked into it enough yet to be able to tell you how to do it.

If you're capable enough of repairing the jack problem once you're in there, maybe just take it to a shop and ask them to just discharge that voltage for you. It may turn out to be a waste of money, but the only way you'll find out is the hard way ;)

6. That output jack is "different" than the ones in your guitar. You will need to order it from Ampeg.

You will remove the knobs and the bolts behind it, remove the nut and insulator on the jack, remove the metal shield behind the pre board, remove the tube board and then you can replace the jack.

Lots of work. If you are not 100% for soldering and de-soldering on PCB, then think no more. That amp is WAY TOO expensive to be practicing on.

The caps are on a different board in that amp. Unless he really TRIES to hurt him self, it is pretty unlikely. I would be much more concerned about him hurting the amp than himself. Although it is possible to shock yourself.

You will never even see the contacts on the jack without removing it from the PCB first. The jack is surounded with plastic.

7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I don't think there's much danger of electrocution from trying to fix an input jack. However, it could be possible that they're sealed and you can't get to them easily to bend the contacts. Still, as long as you're careful not to touch the caps, you should be fine.

As a matter of fact, don't modern SS amps all have a power bleed-off upon shutdown for that specific reason?

8. Heres what I am talking about... You be the judge.

Note the pre amp board, the tube board, and the shield behind the tube board.

PA270072.

9. This amp will drain the caps when the switch is shut off. It continues to "run" for a few seconds when the power is removed.

10. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    THANKS for all the great help everybody and especially for the pictures.

I don't think I'll EVER try replacing the jack myself, and now I have serious second thoughts about trying to "bend" the contacts...

Again - THANK YOU.

11. They are pretty easy to work on; everything is nice a big for my fat fingers, but they are a little messy in there. That jack will run you about 4 dollars if you can get it locally. These jacks are special because they short the input when you remove your cord to prevent noise from coming out of the speaker. I think there are 4 contacts inside of it.

You may be able to save your tech some money if you locate the parts yourself. (from Ampeg). Certainly it will ensure speedy service once the tech receives your amp.