Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Dave Allen (Gang of Four) Fans Here

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mark Jacobs, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    Though I've been here for years I rarely post.
    Last night I listened to "Entertainment" by The Gang of Four for the first time in 20 years, got blown away by the amazing rhythm section of Dave Allen and Hugo Burnham and had to put this thread up. I saw them perform at Club 57 (now Irving Plaza) back in 1979 with Mission of Burma opening up. At the time I was focused on guitarist Andy Gill but after re-listening to this amazing LP again, I could hear the genius of bassist Dave Allen. He's much better than his later replacement, Sara Lee, and he's got to be one of the under-recognized players on this board.

Anyone else a fan of this guy?

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I still know how to play Damaged Goods. :bassist:

3. OUT-SIDE-THE-TRAINS-DON'T-RUN-ON-TIME!!!

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Dave Alllen is one of the guys that made me want to take up the bass in the first place.

You should check out the early period of Shriekback as well. Songs like 'My Spine is the Bassline', 'Lined Up' and 'Mothloop' show a unique talent coming into his own.

On a 'Six degrees of seperation' note; Sara Lee, Dave Allen's replacement in Gang of Four, played with Barry Andrews, Dave's bandmate in Shriekback, in Robert Fripp's 'League of Gentlemen'.

As Steven Wright said..."It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it."

5. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    Thanks for the link Mock

6. I was reading an old Guitarist interview with Sting's guitarist, Dominic Miller, and he mentions being in a band with Dave Allen called King Swamp, that he had to quit to join Sting's band.

found a webpage- http://members.tripod.com/kdrew/king_swamp.html