Any DCI/Marching fans here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 'JC', Jul 29, 2005.

1. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I know we all can't be just bassists here.
    Anyone ever march an instrument?

I wanted to try out for the Glassmen before approaching "age out" age and practiced my left arm off since I wanted a snare spot.
    Tore so much muscle, I was told to quit drumming by the emergency room doctor after days of pain on the left side of my chest. That ended that dream.

I'll always have the high school and college memories though.
    So much fun.

So anyone here ever march a corp?
    Most of my college line did Crown & Crossmen, with one winning 1st with the Cavaliers. Needless to say, our college book "borrowed" a lot of DCI book - especially Cavies.
  2. I march Sousaphone/Tuba in high school right now. I was part of the BOA summer symposium and got to march with (around) the Cavaliers for an exibition at Illionis State University. It was a pretty cool experience, but I don't know that I'd have what it takes to march Contra for a corp, especially the Cavies.
  3. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    dci fan here despite the fact i was a mere pit player in high school. a good friend of mine got into the cadets, very exciting. can't wait to see him perform

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My school (liberty high) hosts a DCI show every year... not a competition, just a demo...

Blue Devils show up... Santa Clara Van guard... Yamamoto orwhatever...

i dont go. :p

Although i do play barse in the pit...
  5. Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    I played trombone from middle school through college and marched in high school. I enjoyed it a bunch. The uniforms left much to be desired though. Way too hot in the early fall, way too cold in late fall.

I still stop in occasionally durring the school year and help out my old high school band director. It's a shame school music programs are taking such a beating. Especially in my old school the band went from 100ish to like 40. Jazz band isn't a class anymore but an extracurricular activity before school twice a week. But hey our football team that's(dead serious) won 20 games in the past 10 years has nice new uniforms!!!
  6. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    it's a shame. my high school went through a similar thing when the new budget wasn't approved by the town my senior year. the marching band (1st in the state) and jazz band (4th) lost transportation for more than half the events and the football team got new uniforms and lights put in the field.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

Well... heres the thing.. and I'm a band geek.

How much money does band bring in? Not much, if any.

my school's football team brings in about $75k a year. The band brings in enough to cover all of our marching band expenses, but not enough for 2nd semester drumline, concert band, and jazz band trips. We have been in the top 3 bands the last 3 years.. this past year, we were easily the best in the county.

Even though the band may kick ass, it does not bring in any money.

Since sports bring in the most money, they are going to get most of the money.
  8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Well, not me, but my son is a monster percussionist. After he got out of school he went to the Senior Corps (DCA? I think), spent quite a few years with the Bushwackers (NJ) and Skyliners (NYC) before moving to Oregon. he plays now with a group out of Seattle (I forget the name) ...........

This is recent pic from an exhibition they did for the City of Seattle .....

Drum Corps rhythms are smokin' :cool:
  9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I played alto sax in Jr High & we marched in all the local parades. My wife also played alto sax, but she took it through high school. Her school's marching band was good enough to get sent to Florida to perform at one of Disney World's anniversaries (10th I believe).
  10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    DCI rocks...i'm always parked in front of PBS checking out drum breaks...that's what i'm about...i marched bass drum for one year and snare in the high school marching band and i marched for carolina crown...well, long ago :D it was a blast...more fun than i've had doing anything else...i could lose all of the gym floors we had to sleep on, though...that kinda sucked...lots of hot guard around, though ;-) unless you were a cavie or a scout :D
  11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    oh, btw

ESPN is going to air the DCI classic this year.
  12. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I march sousaphone in high school. Drumline music is cool but the drummers are usually asshats.
  13. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I'm into DCI some because I march and perform in the Hella Shriners Drum Corps. I started playing soprano bugle with them in '96. I enjoy watching DCI but it's way more involved than what we can pull off with a bunch of old men.

We have won the state championship for all but one of the last 30 years and we've been national champions several times. We compete in June for the state convention and in July for the national convention.

There will be a combined state corps this year at the East/West Shrine game since it's being played in San Antonio.
  14. My band totally ripped off a Blue Devils warm up !
  15. gonna age myself again LOL....
    marched jr C class (classes changed now..) for number of years..
    played lead soprano (year we won the champs in our class in Canada),, played Mellophone, was Drum Major.. also played mellophone with the NorthStar our of Kitchener,, in Senior corps,, I played contra...
    I also taught hornline for a couple corps (assisted), in Peterborough, Brantford and Durham Ont...

got me some medals from the annual individuals competition (Canada) as well.. the year we beat Etobicoke Oakland Crusaders quintet... ;)

like I said,, dating myself,, this is from the 70's and early 80's...

I still try to follow along,, but I think when they went with the third valve,, DC kinda lost it's appeal... (listen to 77 Blue Devils, or VanGuard Spirit of Atlanta and hear what can be done with only 2 valves!!)
  16. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    how's this for percussion instructor marched for the bayonne bananas ;-) the bridgemen out of bayonne, nj like in '81...awesome corps...and they had a smokin drumline
  17. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I play a 3 valve Kanstul Powerbore soprano. It added 4 notes when I made the switch (Low C#,D,Eb and Ab). All it did was open up some keys that weren't available to us before. Our director arranges all of our music and most of our horns are still 2 valve.
  18. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I marched-sorta all through high school. I was part of our pit percussion on bass then marched cymbals for parades.

There's going to be a DCI show in Indy either today or a few saturdays from now.

When i have the chance to see it-i check it out, am actually thinking about buying some of the World Championship tapes/DVDs if they're available.

FWIW-i've got a few friends in Glassmen-one of em is a 4th year Tuba, another is a Trumpet, and the final one [my class] is a member of their color guard.

That's all
  19. yeah,, I remember watching the bridgemen in '77 in phili... cutting edge stuff... LOL yellow trenchcoats LOL
    some the great corps...
    Madison Scouts company front.. (AWESOME)..
    Troopers sunburst move!!
    Boston Crusaders,,,, their whole show!!!.. small but mighty.. loved the classic uniforms...
    now I'm waxin nostalgic...

Mobay45,,, I didn't realize that corps were still marching two valves.. figured they'd all moved over... that's what I get being so far up north I don't get to see 'em anymore...
    the closest corps we have up here is the DCA Guelph Royalaires,, but they are almost 4 hours away... :(
  20. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    awesome news.

and pointbass - when you said your son was out of school, i take it you meant college?