Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any DEAN Experts out there????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LajoieT, Sep 4, 2004.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Any DEAN Experts out there????
    <HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title -->Here's the deal. Back in the 80's when I was graduating from high school, my mom asked what I wanted for a grad presen, which of course was a new bass. Well anyway it was the hair metal 80's days and I was in it thick and the local store I was taking lessons at was a Dean dealer and had just gotten their new catalog in. There was this radical new bass design that was called the Mach V or Mach 5 (I forget if they did the roman numeral thing or just the number, but it was a 4 string as at the time, 5's were still novelties for advanced players...) So I put my money down and had them order me one. Well several months later no bass had shown up and they couldn't give me a due date, I don't remember if they gave me any reasons but it sounds like Dean was nearly out of business at that time. Being an aspiring yet impatient teen, I canceled the order and spent my money on this equally unusual bit of electric bass obscurity:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attac...tachmentid=7538

Well a few years later I ran into the guy who worked in the music store and he told me that they got the bass in a few weeks later and sent it back since they didn't figure the could sell it. Well now I can't find any mention of it anywhere (of course, short of Isimy's similar Takamine bass I can't find any mention of the one I actually own either....) but I was wondering if anyone in TB land might have a stockpile of Dean catalogs from 1984-7 and might be able to prove that I didn't dream the whole thing up. As I remember the body style. there was nearly no lower body but a LARGE upper fin shapped body and very angular lines (like the BC Rich Warlock which was THE THING at the time). I would appreciate anyone who can help me out here.

BTW some of the Dean sites mention that "the Mach 7 was one of the last designs on the books whe Dean closed shop and was resurected when the company re-opened and renamed the Mach 5 guitar" while the shape looks like it may have been inspired by the one I remember, It is nowhere near what I remember, picture this with both of the lower body wings cut almost completely off (just enough left for the electronics) and the upper wing cut with striat lines like an elongated warlock:

[​IMG]

thanks again all ! ! ! ! !

2. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Doing the Post Holiday, Early Morning, Bump & Grind

ANYONE ? ? ? ? ?

3. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    YEA!!!!!!! That's it!!!!! Man I am BUMMMMMMED out that I missed that one on E-bay!!!! I would certainly have dropped some $$$ to have that kicking around the house to remind me of the good old days!!! If you EVER see another one around for sale, let me know... PLEEEEEEAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEE!!!!!! :hyper: