Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Dean Peer fans?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blackbird, Aug 10, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Anybody influenced by Dean Peer? His first recording, UCROSS, released in the late 80s showcases the musical use of harmonics in a way that's unsurpassed to this day. His following cd, Travelogue, featured an ensemble with Paul McCandless but was still heavy on the use of harmonics.
    What's the lowdown on this great player?

Will C.:cool:

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I recently started listening to Dean Peer's online samples. They sound pretty cool, but I'm a little more interested in his book right now.

I am shocked that there aren't more posts about Dean Peer on TB.

I know that this is a very old post; but considering the number of people interested in playing harmonics on the bass, Dean Peer's book seems like a great place to start.

Joe

3. i agree Joe, i have been into dean peer for a long time, and i am considering getting his harmonics book...i think he is certainly worth some good talkbass press :) although i hear he's got a pretty bad attitude sometimes

4. Dean Peer's Bass Harmonics book is well worth the money. There is a lot of info that will make you look at harmonics in a very comprehensive way. I highly recommend it! :bassist:

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Heh, I get a kick out of these threads that get answered six years later...:D

6. So do I. It means people are using the search function and not creating duplicate threads. A good thing!

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Man, I can't believe that it took me six years to find a thread regarding Dean Peer! :smug:

I first heard UCROSS in a high end audio store, and I was instantly mesmerized. I just love his playing and harmonics. And the recording quality really is out of this world. He is a great player, for sure, and one of my favorites (though my style is nothing like his).

Tom.

8. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    +1 for the search function!

Joe

PS. I can't wait to see the next "How do I slap?" thread.

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I was able to download a sample of his book on his website. I believe the sample was track 2 on the CD. I really enjoy playing this little etude. It's a nice musical application of harmonics as well as a good exercise for right hand plucking.

Does the rest of the book have great musical examples like the one I've been playing?

Joe

10. Yes, absolutely! There are some really unorthodox altered tunings used with harmonics near the end of the book. As well as several pages that show you how to use a mix of regular notes with harmonics to create chords. :)