Any Derek Smalls Fans out there?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by George F. Schmidtt, May 16, 2001.

1. George F. Schmidtt

George F. Schmidtt

Dec 21, 1999
    As a fan of Derek Smalls, I was wondering if anyone else experimented with either a second neck or a seventh string? If one knows more about this subject I'd be interested in hearing about it. Also has anyone had the opportunity to hear any of Derek's works with his new group Lambsblood? I've been listening on the radio and have yet to hear "Whole Lotta Lord" or "Godsmacked."
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Derek rules! What happened to the big comeback tour with you-know-who? After Mick Fleetwood joined the band, they disappeared again.
  3. I understand he's having trouble hiring a drummer, what with the history of them spontaneously combusting and suffocating on other people's vomit and all.....
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "Jazz Odyssey" is a work of genius. He truly is the lukewarm water of the band.
  5. can you turn that SWR gear that he's endorsing in ads in BP up to 11? If not, what's the point?
  6. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    After he got stuck in the pod and did not come out till the song was over, I lost all respect for him.

7. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    At TalkBass? :rolleyes:

8. Yet another reason for John Turner to post photos.
  9. Hey, he still played the song, beautifully I might add, even while stagehands were pounding on the pod with hammers and torching it. If anything, I have more respect for him after that episode.
  10. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I liked the song where everyone played bass. That song rocked. Was that when they were in the pods?
  11. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    the song was big bottom.
  12. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    the song with the pods was "Rock and Roll Creation".

I also must confess my admiration for Derek. what kind of bass was it he used in the "This Is Spinal Tap" documentary?
  13. Derek is one of my heros also, I think he plays a B.C. Rich through most of the movie. Might have been a B.C. Rich Eagle
  14. George F. Schmidtt

George F. Schmidtt

Dec 21, 1999
    Whatever it was it DEFINITELY was not a Fender!!! (Knowing how much Derek, Nigel and David thought of Marty's cheap trick of having that Fender on the set for visual effects.)
  15. ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    You're a naughty one, Saucy Jack!

He used B.C. Rich Eagles, Mockingbirds, and Bichs on "This is Spinal Tap".
    On the "Return of Spinal Tap", he switched to Tobias. The "Dollar-Sign Doubleneck" rules!!!!!!!!
  16. Derek is by far the worlds greatest lead bass player,

.......and who could forget is writing skills on jazz odyssey

Derek is a low freq "golden god" my friends
  17. And like a phoenix from out of the ashes, long dead and forgotten, comes this thread?:confused:
  18. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002

I think that you'll find it was actually a Rocumentary :) :) :) :) :)
  19. The bigger the waistband the deeper the quicksand.........or so i have read :D
  20. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I wonder if I could get a cucumber endorsement?:D