Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Devon bass players out there?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstrader, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Hey I'm seeking opinions on Devon Smullen's basses. I've seen them mentioned a couple of places, and his web site (Devonguitars.com) is pretty nice. Let me know what you think of them, and if you have one for sale!

There's one at Bass Northwest that caught my eye, and now I have the bug.

Stay Low!

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I've never played one or have seen one in person but I saw a very nice one on www.thelowend.net recently.

3. Devon is a great luthier and very personable. His basses are first rate and play like butter. I've played and owned some very high-end and expensive basses and his play as well as any of them. Highly recommended. :cool:

4. daveonbass

daveonbass

Apr 5, 2001
    Waupun, WI
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Hofner, Rotosound
    http://devonguitars.com/

I've been to his house years ago and checked out the manufacturing facility I think in his basement at the time... So long ago I can't remember much more than that... I know he was very into his craft, though. Always looking to get feedback from the players here in Wisconsin whenever he could.

:)

5. Bob Bl.

Bob Bl.

May 1, 2003
    NC
    I have a fretless Diamond P with a lined Moses graphite neck, set up with PJ Barts.

I get tons of compliments from non-bassers on it (you know, bandmates, spousal units, ranson people at gigs, etc.). These are mostly due to the great appearance of this bass, and not to my skills at fretless! :meh:

Some of my impressions:
    - love the sound of those Barts! If my old Fender Jazz wasn't so darned "collectable", I'd stick a set in there, too.
    - construction quality is indeed very nice
    - Devon Smullen has been great to deal with. He always answers my questions promptly and thoroughly (and I bought my bass used...)
    - The Moses neck plays and feels great. Stays in tune forever. I'd say it's just a little "clicky and bright", but the tone shaping so good that it's not an issue. Can't help but wondering how it would sound with a maple/ebony job, though.

There are still pictures of it on the Low End website. Actually, it look a just like the picture on the Devon site, only with the addition of the J pickup and a blend knob!

Bob

6. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I just got a Devon last week and figured I would post some pics. :hyper: Why not? This one was built about 7 years ago and has a quilted/burl maple top and koa back, as well as a RW fingerboard.

In a month or so, I'm also thinking of making a "before and after" thread of the bass since I would like to send it to Pat Wilkins to have it finished in an Antique or "Icedtea" sort of burst finish and replace the bridge for an Fbass style wooden bridge.

So what do you guys think? Devon makes quite a nice bass huh? :D

7. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Here's just another couple pics..