1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any DI suggestions for my Orange AD200 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dallyd31, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Dallyd31

Dallyd31 Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Seeing as my Orange doesn't have a built in DI, any suggestions for a good DI ? Most (if not all) of the venues I play at would have some sort of direct box, but it is always nice to have one with me just in case. I don't need one with fancy features...just a good DI. Would be awesome if I could somehow get the amp's tone to the board ( so a DI post preamp) but not sure if such a thing exists.

2. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Get a JDI and connect it to your speaker output between the amp and cab. And no it won't blow up.

3. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Or a Countryman 85

4. Dallyd31

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    So, you can put a DI between the amp and cab...as opposed to in front of the amp ? I didn't realize this.

No ill effects ?

5. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    Pad it down all the way. -40 or the spkr. setting instead of inst.

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    You need to have a DI that is designed to do this - not all can. The Countryman and JDI will. There are a few threads on DI units if you search. I use a Countryman, it has a nice clean signal if I use it with the bass going direct into it and it also works well if I want to capture the amp's tone and plug it between amp and speaker.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only thing I'd caution about going speaker DI with an Orange is distortion. If you use distortion, make sure the soundman knows so he can cut the frequencies above 5k so he doesn't blow tweeters.

8. Dallyd31

Jun 22, 2005
    Peterborough, Ontario
    Can I use the slave out to the DI ? Would that work...and it would it create any issues (impedance etc) ?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know if you can or not, but slave out won't get you the output transformer, which is the most important part.

10. IF you want to up the quality, the Avalon U5 will do the speaker cab DI thing as well, although most of the extra features and pre etc you would gain along with the cost of the U5 would pretty much be nullified by running it through the speaker input I think?

Still one of the best DI's on the market IMO

11. Depends on the slave out. The one on my Mesa is taken from the speaker signal and has level control, so ideal to go into any DI.

12. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    Just use 2 mics. One close and one a little farther out. Old school!!!!!!