Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any difference between a Rickenbacker 4 and a Rickenbacker 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by him666, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Any difference between a Rickenbacker 4 and a Rickenbacker 5 string?

Yeah 1 string :) But any difference in sound?

Harmony central

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Not really. I owned a 4003 S/5 Briefly. To me it sounded just like a 4 string Ric...at least the E, A, D and G did. The B string absolutely SUCKED. The string spacing was IMPOSSIBLE to play fingerstyle. I didn't expect my @ss to hurt so much afer shelling out that much money...I got screwed if you know what I mean. There is a good reason why Ric discontinued that model and started making the 4004Cii 5 string. Supposedly they widened the finger board and string spacing quite alot but the pickups (humbuckers) used on the 4004 aren't going to sound like the traditional single coils used on the 4003 models. I'd imagine the 4004Cii/5 is going to sound more modern.
    -Bazz-

3. Ok thanks. So a BEAD tuning on a 4 string Ric, doesn't make any difference.. Ill consider just a 4 string then

4. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    cool but remember the scale length on Rics is only 33.25". That might be problematic with regards to a B string.

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    That's true. RIC try to get around that on the 4003S/5 by using a 115 gauge string as a low B rather than the traditional 130 gauge (used by all other manufacturers).

I too owned a 4003S/5 for a short period, and found the string spacing incredibly tight. RIC did use a slightly wider neck on it but only by 1/16" over the standard 4003 neck.

As for sound, they sound nothing like a 4001. I found they sounded more like a Precision with a low B string added.

TD

6. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Really? That's interesting...I thought my EADG strings on my 4003 S/5 sounded pretty Ricky. Those 4 had that piano clarity going on...the B was ****e though.