Any different techniques? Share them!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, May 13, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Lets hear all about your "different techniques". Doesn't matter what, even if you string your bass upside down, or put your right arm around the outside of the strap. Lets hear!

I personally throw my ring finger in grooves ALL the time.
  2. CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    The following things aren't new to the bass community, but they're new to me.

When fretting, I've recently begun pressing down directly above the fret (previously I had pressed behind the fret). Until two months ago, I had never known that you could do this, ignorant as that may sound.

Fretting requires a little less pressure this way and this helps me stay more relaxed and play a little faster (I need more speed - I'm slow!!). Learned this from Gary Willis' 101 Bass Tips book which I've found helpful.

Also trying to be more mindful that I fret with as little pressure as possible - just enough to prevent buzzing.

When playing long notes, I often relax the pressure bit by bit until I hear buzzing (then reapply just a tad of pressure to remove the buzz).

When doing this, I'm surprised at how often I'm pressing too hard. I have to release quite a bit of the pressure before the string starts buzzing. Learned this seemingly simple (but unknown to me) concept from the 101 book as well.

And with the exception of fretting near the nut, I'm now employing the one-finger-per-fret approach most of the time (starting at the fifth fret) to expand my reach.

This has forced me to develop my slightly weak middle finger and really weak ring finger (still have a long way to go). Previously I had used index and pinky too much, limiting my range, speed, and fluidness.

Finally, trying to get my right thumb from nearly always having to be anchored on the string directly above the one I'm playing. It's like I have been overusing the floating thumb approach. This is hard to correct because my thumb seems to move on its own - I have to really focus to get it to stop moving so much.

Nothing groundbreaking here. Just little things that will hopefully bring my playing to a slightly higher level.
  3. before I got fast at the galloping technique, I used to "cheat" by flicking one finger back and forth on the string ( especially when alternating strings - think "Where Eagles Dare"-Iron Maiden). Now I do it sometimes to get that ringing tone that comes from hitting the string with the fingernail. Its also good for geting a pick sound during certain portions of a song without grabbing a pick.
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The only thing I can think of that I do that I don't see commonly done by other players is that I take my thumb completely off of the neck pretty much whenever I go to and past the 15th fret.
  5. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    i often play between the 2 pups on my bass..anchoring my thumb on the E/B a really nice tone tho :bassist:
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I think just about everyone does that.
  7. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    I havent seen anyone else do it tho :confused:
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Sounds like you need to get out more, or pay closer attention when you do :D :D :D
  9. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well, I wasn't going to say anything 'til I got it perfected, but...

I've been working on a new completely hands-free technique. That's right - hands free. I don't even touch the neck, or anything on the neck with any part of my body. Instead, I pluck, pick, slap, tap, fret, hammer-on, slide-off, etc. using only the powers of my mind - with telekinesis...

I figure once I master this, I'll be able to do the Victor Wooten right-hand speed-slapping thing and all that Michael Manring left-hand magic simultaneously. In the meantime, I'll be practicing with smaller objects - like driving my cats nuts by moving their toys "spontaneously" around the apartment, making my TV remote fly to me across the room so I don't have to get up and grab it - and other useful things like that...

10. conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    I have seen people anchoring their thumb on the other strings but it allways seems to be over a pup..and i play between the pups when I anchor on the other strings :confused:
  11. Well, I guess they don't call you Mystic Michael for nothing. :)
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I take the girl and I pick her up by the buttocks and...oh, wait...are you looking for bass techniques?
  13. I'm just working on my fingerstyle at the moment - and er - learning how to play better - and, you know like music...

14. I've been working on that technique for quite a while now, but I've only got as far as tuning down the D-string to C#.
    Even when I try really hard... either that happens, or I turn Coke into Pepsi.
  15. AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Most of the time when I play finger style I'll play at the very bottom of the neck, basically at the 24th fret. Some other people do it, some don't but I usually find my right hand playing there(that sounds bad :rolleyes: ) It sounds good for reggae and dub music in general. When I slap it's usually in front of the neck position pup. Is that wrong? Should I play farther back for a better tone? Just wondering.

Oog :D
  16. I've been trying to play less notes in my solos.

I've never seen that done before.... :D

17. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    :eek: Ohmygod! Dude, nooooo. LOL