1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any DIY Bass Cab Plans?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Longhair, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Longhair

Longhair Guest

Sep 12, 2009
    After watching the Mesa Boogie Factory Tour-Custom Woods & Vinyl I want to build my own cabs for the house :D

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any plans for bass. Does anybody have any links or plans for 2x10 and 1x15 cabs?

2. not being a expert on the subject i cant give you any HOWEVER a 1x15 would be quite simple im guessing. its basicly the speaker and the jack with a resistor thrown in somwhere i think

3. Longhair

Longhair Guest

Sep 12, 2009
    I wonder if there is any type of padding in there.

If so, what kind and how much.

4. see the 2nd sticky of this forum

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I would say at least a couple dozen specific to bass guitar.

Talking sound in general there's hundreds.

Surprised someone hasn't thrown out the tl-606 yet.

6. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    +1, TL-606 is a classic design and has also been modified to make the most of the Eminence Deltalites.

7. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
  8. It would seem strange to build a cab if you are NOT into it. Using proven plans is a good starting point for anyone. Besides, why build something that is readily available?

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. You can't build a cookie cutter 2x10 or 1x15 cab for the price you can buy one for. That's because cookie cutter cabs are very cheap for manufacturers to produce with the price they pay for the components compared to what you have to pay. If you're going to DIY do something that's better than what you can get factory built.

10. Something like this?
    101_0546.

Got a JBL K-140 on ebay. I found the plans for a Sunn 2000s cab like I used to have. Cut it in half for 1-15". and went to town.
    Cost was for a sheet of 1/2" sandply $25. Screws, glue, grill cover, casters and jack w/ plate. I used shellac on it to give it a retro blonde look.
    One of my tricks to building cabs is to cut a 1" strip and glue it to the front / inside. Then glue the face to it. Squares up the cabinet. I use 1" strips of wood for bracing and the back bracing for the back cover.

Look around for the size of the cab your wanting to build. Get the specs and your off.

11. bobodechimp

bobodechimp

May 22, 2011
    Canonsburg pa
    were yu get the planes

12. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    +1 to Bill and MuzikMan's posts..

On the other hand, however, it'll sound better than pretty much any commercial cab out there. No more cab GAS is worth the cost and effort if you ask me.

13. ian_s

ian_s

Jul 10, 2009
    You didn't say what you meant by "for the house" (bass? Pro sound? Home theater?) but BFM plans are the way to go. Billfitzmaurice.info