Any DIY on this forum?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mears, Feb 7, 2003.

1. mears

Jan 25, 2003
    Just wondering if any of you guys build your own cabs. I did a quick search with "build" and it didn't come up with much.
  2. There are some cab builders. Joris does for sure, and there are a few other gurus.

3. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've built a couple cabs--nothing fancy. For the cost/time associated with it, you can get an Avatar with a warranty. I do it for the fun of working with power tools!
  4. mears

Jan 25, 2003
    Well I think I could do a bit better than $280 shipped. Anyone know how much the eminence drivers are? At parts express they list msrp at 169.99, but don't list their price.

They are some fugly drivers by the way.
  5. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Parts Express has a little button to click on that e-mails you the current price.

I recently priced out the wood and parts and found that I can probably save myself $50 or so vs Avatar's price, but not much more than that, and I'd spend a lot of time at it. I chose to buy a B112 and build my own subs for underneath. The only way it's really cost effective is if you want something that isn't on the market.

There is a really huge thread something like "Speaker Building 101" or "Cabinet Building 101", and many smaller ones. You could also search on names "bgavin" and "joris".
  6. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I was certainly not saying it can't be done for cheaper than buying a cab. Both my cabs cost me less than purchasing one, however I used Madison speakers (which are ok, but not Eminence) and I got the wood free (local cabinet maker scraps). They turned out great, sound great to me, but they are by no stretch an Eden or Bag End.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Dave at Avatar will sell Eminence speakers at great prices. I think that he only stocks the drivers that he used in is finished cabinets, but you still have a good selection.

From my experience, his prices are lower than partsexpress as long as it's one that he stocks.

email him at you'll get a quick response.

I've found that my Avatars are a great value even though I've built a number of my own.
  8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Hmmmmmmmm............power tools.
    (Does the Tim Allen growl)
  9. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i built a 1x18 cab last summer. It has a 600 watt eminence omega pro driver in it. I had a lot of fun doing it, and learned quite a bit. Though I am by no means an expert. Its a ported design, 7-8 cu. ft. and tuned at 30 Hz. I really like the way it moves a lot of air, but it just isnt efficient enough, so I dont use it anymore. Ive moved on to a "store bought" genz benz cab.