Any DIY stompbox builders here?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by moosapotamus, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Just wondering how many folks here play the soldering iron as a second instrument.

~ Charlie
  2. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Me... Fuzz Faces,Big Muffs,Dr Q's,......all sorts really.
    Also repair/service valve stuff. (sorry.... tube)
  3. Hi There,

Recently I built a bass version of the "Fullclone 2". I was interested in the Fulltone Bass Drive but didn't have over $300 CDN to buy one, so I decided to build one instead.

On that note, anyone here have a schematic, or know exactly what the changes are from the Fulldrive 2 => Bass Drive?

(my own home page.... imagine that!)
  4. So, 12bass, how's your bass fullclone 2 sounding? Where'd you find the Fullclone 2 scheme, and how'd you mod it for bass? Just change the input and output capacitors?

Hey, Paul A, tubes are cool. Personally, I just haven't worked up the nerve to work with mains, yet.

~ Charlie
  5. The "FullClone 2" AKA the "Screamer+" is based on the Fulltone Fulldrive 2. Apart from missing the pull Comp-cut feature, the schematic is supposed to be the same as the original orange Fulldrive 2. To modify it for bass use I changed a few components.

Here's a link to the "FullClone 2"/"Screamer+":

I used this mod to increase bass:

I also played around a bit with the values in the tone circuit and reduced the overall gain. The input and output capacitors are the same. The capacitor in the gain loop is the big one for bass response.

You can use any of the Tube Screamer pages as a source of info for modifications, as the circuit is basically a modified Tube Screamer with an odd arrangement of diodes in the clipping circuit to provide more even-harmonic distortion.

All that said, I would still love to see the proper schematic for the Bass Drive, just to see how Fulltone did things differently.

I think that it sounds pretty good. With the reduced gain, I can set it to just break up when I dig in. It's fairly transparent, but adds a bit of upper mid and loses a little on the high treble frequencies, but this probably helps it cut without being overly harsh. With the bass mod, the circuit has plenty of bottom end.

(my own home page.... imagine that!)
  6. this is old, but thanks 12bass!
  7. You're welcome! Surprised me... updating such an old thread!!!
  8. dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
  9. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ

Zombie thread.

Congratulatory PMs work, too, fellas! ;)
  10. I just aquired a book called "Electronic Projects for Musicians.' It's a pretty comprehensive book on building effects from scratch. I have yet to try it. I think I will get a kit for starters and see how that goes. How do you DIY'rs make the circuit board? I read about it in the book, which is from the 70's, but all the methods described seemed almost impossible for me. Any advice for a newb-wannabe stomp box builder?
  11. chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I do. Currently building about 7 pedals for me and another 7 for other peeps.

Retarded Monkey sh*t Bass fx ©2010!!
  12. dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Perfboard, Vero/Stripboard or etching PCBs. There are some big stompbox forums and some people even offer etching boards for you (for a small amount of money, mainly for the etchant etc).

I prefer stripboard for most of the stuff, since I only have to cut stuff and don't have to solder traces on the board.
    Perfboard is nice for smaller projects like boosters or small fuzzes.
  13. jschwalls

Sep 4, 2007
    Savannah GA
    yeah, It's great fun and good for extra $$ to buy gear with too..

building/modding pedals is a very fun hobby.
  14. rcubed

May 8, 2008
    Vista, CA
    See my sig for a thread on stuff I'm up to.
  15. kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Question for you builders......

I have a pedal I’d like made. Very simple. I want a clone (or something close) of the Boss FS-6 foot switch EXCEPT in a MUCH smaller enclosure. However, I lack the technical competency to do this – believe me!! They don’t even allow me into Home Depot/Lowe’s! Nor do I have any tools to do this. I see the pedal builders parts places have very high quality materials that could be used to make this (as opposed to Radio Shack) and I only wish I could do this myself. It will be used with my Boss RC-2 Looper. I have some schematics for one that someone sent me. But, I’m sure it can be improved upon.

I own a FS-6 now and it’s just too friggin big! Currently power it with a 9v battery eliminator via my Fuel Tank Jr.

Is there anyone there (or do you know anybody) who would take this on for me at a reasonable price? If so, PM me.

Thanks so much!
  16. chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    I use 2 FS-5's and have been thinking the same thing..but I leave those off my pedal train.

Its actually pretty easy, you need 2 normally closed?? I think switches, which you can get a ratshack cheap.
  17. kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Hit this guy up. Has what I (and maybe you) am after at a great price! The exact RC-2 pedal he makes is not listed on the page but is available for $40 w/polarity switches and $32 without.