Any double bass shops in Houston?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jdombrow, Jan 12, 2004.

1. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I will be visiting Houston for two weeks in early February. Are there any double bass shops that would be worth visiting?
  2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    TX, Houston, Gold's Violin Shop, 1-800-369-GOLD
    TX, Houston, The Orchestra Store, James Scoggan, 713-462-5725, 866-267-5725, fax 713-462-5726

I personally recommend these guys. Amati doesn't usually deal with basses, though they do repair work on them.

Thanks to Bob Gollihur's website for this info. If you want to surf for more info go there.
  3. I've never been to any of these since I only recently got into UB, but I was hoping to find a good (reasonably priced) luthier close to home. I live in Montgomery which is about 35 miles North of Houston.
    I was wondering about Lisle....anyone ever visited/used them?
  4. wps

Dec 7, 2001
    Georgetown, KY

You should definitely visit Austin & check out Violins, etc. They have a range of new Romanian basses (I just bought a hybrid) and also sell Christophers. Mark Rubin is the sales manager and has been to the factory in Romania personally. Becktell Blackerby carries Eastman basses.
  5. jdombrow

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    How long of a drive is from Houston to Austin. I'll be in Houston for two full weeks on business, but will have at least part of the weekend off in between. Maybe it would worth it for me to make a visit to "Violin's, Etc" on Saturday if I can get away for the day.

6. dpheise

Feb 28, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'd say it's about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive to Austin, maybe a little less. The trip to Austin will be worth it. It's a beautiful city! I live in the Houston area and will probably be in the market for an upright soon, so please keep the feedback coming.
  7. Steve Carr

Steve Carr

Jun 25, 2003
    Wu's Fine Violins in Sugarland. Mr. Wu puts necks on fully carved basses from China. I played one when I first began to look for a bass. They seemed to be fine instruments but a little out of my price range. He only builds 3 basses $5K, $6k & $7K. I'm playing a Christopher hybrid at this time but I plan to visit Mr. Wu again someday.

Steve Carr
  8. jdombrow

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Steve, how do you like your Christopher hybrid? One of the shops in Denver has one coming in soon, and he promised to call me when it arrives. This is one of the basses that is high on my list, based on all the good things I've read here.

9. Steve Carr

Steve Carr

Jun 25, 2003
    Hi Jim..

Keep in mind that I have only been playing DB since September and I landed a gig with a jazz trio once a week... ...this is the only experience I can speak from, but I love mine. I bought it from David Graham in Arlington, TX and he did a very nice job setting it up. It plays easy and has great sustain. I hope this helps you. Good luck.