Any Double Poppers in the House?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rickbass, Apr 12, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Haven't found much in the way of instructional resources on this technique. I think I'm well on my way with it, enough to start incorporating it into some stuff I do in public, but the more you know, the more you go.

One of the few I've found is . If you haven't checked it out, he has several mp3 samples online that only take several seconds to load. He's where I'd like to be soon with the technique.

Was wondering about your double popping experience and if you have found any resources available to the masses? One local teacher was like, " :confused: "
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what do you mean? popping with 2 fingers at one time? i pop out 2 and 3 note chords and arpeggios while slapping roots with my thumb, if that's what you mean.
  3. I can do it on the G string but the other strings give me a little trouble. I just use the middle finger first the the pointer after it.
  4. rickbass

Paste - Those are the fingers that the little I've found on the technique has mentioned (and the only ones that seem logical). I've been using it from E to G with thumbslaps on lower strings, obiviously.

But I sure wish now that my strings weren't .045 -.125 gauge. (Fortunately, I'll be having another 5'er made).
  5. My strings are fairly heavy too, but they are a 4 set, not a 5. I use the double slap for E, A and D strings, then the double pop for the G string. I do that because on the G string, obviously, there is no string behind it for your thumb to bounce off of, so I double pop it to get the same (well, slightly slower) speed as with my double thumbing.
  6. rickbass

Paste - There goes the technique thing. For whatever reason, I naturally put on the brakes once the thumb attack is complete. It wasn't a conscious thing, just luck I guess.

This technique has me rethinking string/bridge spacing.
  7. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ray Riendeau (in my opinion) is the master of "double popping"...check out his tutorials on this technique on its actually quite easy when you get the hang of it the trick is to start slowly and work up the speed, this takes a bit of time but once you master it its a piece of cake, the biggest problem is to stop your fingers running away with you.

"I dont like the term 'anchor' I mean you have this beautiful boat and the only thing stopping it from sailing away is this big bloody lump of metal"...Ron Carter on being described as the anchor in Miles Davis' band
  8. rickbass

Murf - Thanks. That "Slap Bass and Beyond" is the first exposure to anything formal I've had. Before that, I was just doing it on my lonesome.

You're right, it comes pretty naturally once you get it down. The only aspect that that seems cumbersome is that I have to get my entire hand set in a little different postion when I know it's coming up. As with most things technique-related, maybe you don't even consciously think about it after a while.

It's nice to have in the bag of tricks. A couple of other bassists and guitarists have been like, "How'd you do that?" (I don't tell `em the right way. They're part of the competition :D )
  9. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    I don't usually double pop the strings, if i want to make a root fifth or some other simple chord like that I usually pinch the two strings with my thumb and index finger. But I do like using my index finger and middle finger to pop two notes usually located on the two different strings rapidly.
  10. rickbass

That's what foxes `em. I just came back from a store where this guy who teaches was working. He heard double popping for the first time, evidently, while I was trying out some of the Ashdown stuff. He's like "Whazzat?!?!" I told him I tell him if he'd show me some of his fingerstyle stuff.
  11. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Is it possible to double pluck on the same string?
  12. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Sure, its essentially the exact same as plucking a string using two fingers (only with more force), Stanley Clarke does it all the time.