1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any downsides to this set-up???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jsm81, Mar 13, 2009.

1. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    monitorfront.

Here's the deal, I'm the bass player/lead vocalist for a worship team at our church. For about a year now the setup below is what I have been using.

monitorback.

The 210 was always adequate for my 4-string, but now that I have a 6-string it bottoms out with anything under a low Eb. I'd love to get a 15" to help support that bottom end. If I do get one, I would love to use my 210 as a stage monitor instead of the crappy 110's our church has. I would have a line mixer in my rack to add vocals and bass to the monitor mix and use the unused channel of my poweramp to fire it up. This will also help for when we practice and play at locations with minimal pa.

All that said, I've heard people talk about sonic coupling and waves canceling each other out when they collide. Is there any risk of that happening with this setup, and will it be noticeable?? The 115 will stand upright and basically smack the back of my legs while the 210 will be in front of me tilted towards my head.

2. if you don't want to carry around a large rig, why don't you the use sth like the eon g2? You have various input possibilites... fire it up with e.g. a sansamp or go in directly, and then add the vocalls signal ....

... my 2 cents ...

Br,
    Matthias

3. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    sorry schafhalter, but i don't understand your logic

I already carry a rack and I'll just be adding a line mixer to. I need a poweramp for my monitor anyway, I'll just be using one channel for the 15 and the the second for the monitor.

4. kcolyar

kcolyar

Feb 28, 2007
    Moab, Ut 84532
    If the 2x10 was adequate before, maybe replace the speakers with some better to handle the lower notes. I don't see a problem with the system you plan on using now though.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

You're simply playing too loud if you're farting out a 210 as a stage monitor. Let the main PA handle your bass in the house. All you need is enough stage volume to hear your notes clearly.

Move that 210 cab onto a stand so it fries your ears, and you'll turn it down.

A 115 cab won't help you hear yourself any better. And, with bass trying to come from the vocal monitor, there will be two problems. 1: That monitor will fart out, and 2: You'll be bouncing extra bass off the back wall, which will wreak havoc with the house mix.

6. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks kcolyar, i think the 210 is performing up to its peak, i'm just really looking for a fuller tone on the bottom that i think a 15" will only give. I figure running a 15 with the 210 will give me a rounder sound.

7. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    Currently, I'm using the 210 as a stand alone cab. We don't run the bass through the PA because of lack of quality FOH setup (the bass sounds better out of my 210 than the FOH speakers). The 210 isn't "farting" out, I just want a 115 to give it a deeper and fuller bottom end.

I would essentially be replacing the 210 with a 115. I'll then use the 210 as a monitor in front of me. The 210 will only be turned up loud enough to help me hear the bass and my vocals.

8. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

OK, I missed that your term "tilt-back monitor" didn't mean it was just a stage monitor.

That tilt-back cab is way too small for good tone. It's not designed to be your only cabinet. Even a rectangular-shaped 210 will perform better.

So you should try out a few cabs behind you before deciding that a 15 will get the tone you want.

As for vocals coming through the Ampeg 210, they'll probably suck, but it may be OK. The cab isn't designed to handle the vocal range...it's made for bass.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    And, just because it's a 15, doesn't neccessarily mean "more bottom". Many 10 and 12" cabs actually have a deeper sounding low end.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think your setup idea would work, but phasing is a possibility so be prepared to pull it out of the Ampeg cab, too. I don't think it's that far of a stretch to use the Ampeg cab as a vocal monitor as long as it has a tweeter. And I happen to dig a nice 15" cab. But don't limit yourself to just 15" cabs when looking for bottom end. The lowest-response bass cab commonly seen on the market these days is a 410 (Ampeg 410HLF to be exact). It's a little too much low end for me but it's an example of speaker size not having a relation to the low end response.

11. jsm81

jsm81

Jan 25, 2008
    thank you for all the responses, maybe i'll look at a 112 from Dr.Bass. I think you're right Rick, I tried vocals alone thru the 210 and it sounded great but together with the bass it sounded very muddled. Probably too big of a range.