Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Downtempo Fans Here?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If any of you are downtempo fans, I just bought a CD by Dzihan and Kamien called "Gran Reserva" that I really like. It is so seldom these days that I come across a CD in which I like almost every cut on the album.

Downtempo music isn't for every one. But those who do enjoy it, maybe you could tell me some of your favorite CDs and performers. I came across D and K on the AOL radio "Abstract Beats" channel.

A couple other CDs I discovered there are "Downtempo Dojo" by Saru, Nightmares on Wax CD, "Smokers' Delight" and Jerome Sydenham's music.

Some of the music on that AOL channel is just too monotonous and repetitive, but still there are some real gems to be found there. If anyone here shares my enthusiasm for the genre, please let me know your favorite selections.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm a big fan of a lot of Chill music, I think the most down tempo stuff I listen to is about 80 bpm or so. I really like a lot of ambient techno which often has a downtempo feel.

I never have really listened to anything other than downtempo electronic music though :meh: so I can't really speak for anything else other than that.

3. What exactly is downtempo(other than slow im guessing)? I know I've seen it grouped with dub before but I dont think its the same thing.

4. Boplicity

Downtempo is electronic music, but not dance music, though you could dance to it, I suspect, if you want to dance slowly. It is in a familiy with trip hop, ambient and other slow motion styles. For me, ambient is too slow and I keep wishing something would happen in the song or the song would "go somewhere." Downtempo music, while long lasting, does have structure, but does take its time to develop.

It is generally very mellow, even dreamy. It would serve wonderfully for someone to listen to while falling alseep or to listen to after a hard day or a late night concert. It is for unwinding.

The music is slow to mid-tempo, melodic, vocals are repetitive; lyrics are not complex. Basslines are one of the things I like about downtempo. The music is never discordant or abrasive, nor is it meant to be. It is the opposite of confrontational and agressive.

I have been a fan of heavy metal and industrial music for a long, long time. This music is the antithesis of heavy metal. Maybe that is why I like it so much. It is a refreshing change and ideal for jangled nerves.

Some of the best known downtempo artists are Thievery Corporation, herbaliser and Kruder and Dormfeister.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, Thievery corporation is excellent.

Have you ever heard Boards of Canada, bop?

They are a little more upbeat at times, but generally it's just really chill stuff you should check it out.

do you ever listen to KCRW? www.KCRW.com
    late night they have really excellent downtemp/chill sets, that are...well...excellent ;)

Coldcut jamm is a really good trip-hop/chill group.

And, the latest album by cornelius(point), has some of the chillest groove music around.

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I haven't heard much of Thievery Corporation, but what I've heard is good. I have Smokers Delight by Nightmares on Wax, and it's very good. Does Air fit into this Downtempo thing? Or Esthero?

7. This description sounds like an electronic Sigur Ros to me. Maybe i need to check some of it out.

8. I may be barking up the wrong tree with these recommendations, but they are some of my (current) favourite ambient/downtempo albums:

Another Fine Day - Salvage
    Zero 7 - Simple Things
    Air - Moon Safari

Dublab is often good (www.dublab.com).

I have a couple of down tempo tracks myself. Unfortunately they're not up on the web yet, but I can give you a taster if you like... :)

9. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Kruder & Dorfmeister (especially "The K&D Sessions")
    Fila Brazillia
    Air
    Zero 7
    Morcheeba
    Portishead
    Dusted
    Boards of Canada
    Goldfrapp (especially "Felt Mountain")

Some of these may fall into the "Trip-Hop" category...

Also, check out the "Another Late Night" and "Back To Mine" series...I really like the "Back To Mine" mixes by Dave Seaman, Talvin Singh, Morcheeba, and Nick Warren...

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  11. Boplicity

Thanks for all those suggestions. I spent much of last evening checking out the bands I didn't know. I really like Air, Sigur Ros and Boards of Canada. Esthero, Morcheeba and Portishead weren't so much to my liking. I did like Zero 7.

I'm going to check out Fila Brazilia, Dusted and Goldfrappp now. I am not so fond of the music that is more trip hop or acid jazz. There just seems to vbe a special narrow category I like.

I do apppreciate the suggestions and I am pleased that there are several of here who do enjoy these related genres of music. Those who make this music impress me as very well rounded, versatile musicians, because sometimes it seems as if an entire orchestra is playing, but it is actually the work of only two people. Too, what is interesting is the broad range of countries from which these musicians come. That may be why they can blend so many styles in an interesting manner.

Once again, many thanks to you all for the suggestions.

12. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I like Sigur Ros and the Boards of Canada, and though I don't know a lot of other bands, I'm a fan of this genre.

It's cool that this many of you like it, and I just love these neat minority genres in general :)

13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Hey, does anyone listen to Röyksopp? I don't know if they fit into this genre, but.. I like them...
    And I'm gonna check out the bands here that I don't know :)
    ..I love Talkbass:)

14. Boplicity

I DO like Royskopp. They do fit the downtempo genre. Not everyband fits perfectly all the time. I kind of judge by what the overall feeling or mood of the CD leaves me with.

15. Boplicity

I checked them out and was surprised because their name threw me off. By the name I'd have put them in a group with Type O Negative!

But the SPYZ-6 took me by a big surprise. I was expecting downtempo and got something much heavier...not bad at all...but certainly not downtempo.:)

16. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    if you want to have hear the most clean cut beutiful sounding stuff ever listen to

Telefon Tel Aviv

www.telefontelaviv.com

absolutely amazing, they are geniouses.

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I don't guess Cocteau Twins would fit in this genre as I suspect it's relatively recent, and they've been defunct for quite a while now.
    But I know a lot of their fans listen to quite a few of the bands I'm seeing listed here.
    They weren't strictly electronic, but as far as atmospheric/ethereal/droney/slow stuff goes, I think their mid-80's stuff ranks among some of the best.