Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any Dr. Who fans - or maybe Sci Fi in general?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, May 9, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

2. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I watched it a little Dr. Who but Lost in Space and Land of the Giants were my thing when I was a kid
    Our local PBS station used to run Creature Double feature on Saturdays with Dale Doormen and me and my Stepdad would watch all the old Godzilla VS whoever movies and all the other cheezy 60's and 70's creature films.:D It was either that or Rat patrol or whatever War movies were on.

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Oh and I have seen every one of the old Star Trek episodes and the movies.

4. I used to love Dr Who, book or TV show. Now I'd rather read Frank Herbet or Greg Egan. :)

I love that melody, though.

5. Tom Baker! The best Dr. Who ever. Man I loved that show.

6. Bruce Lindfield

I'm not that much of a fan, although I think McGann is a credible Doctor - just thought that some people might be interested in this as it is free via the web - it even worked on my "work" laptop!! :eek: - and was written by Douglas Adams. :)

7. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Interesting, but I'm afraid I'll have to expose my nerdistry at it's apex:

Shada was filmed as part of the Tom Baker series, but wasn't completed/aired because of a strike at the BBC. It is available on video though, with a much older Baker narrating it.

This is pretty interesting though! McGann is pretty good in this role. Saw him in the TV movie a few years back too.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I love Douglas Adams. His work is just so brilliant and inspiring.

Any Adams fans would do well to check out Richard Dawkins. They were contemporaries, and while Dawkins deals with Sci-fa, and Adams with Fi, Dawkins' style and humor are so similiar to Adams' It was very good to read.

I have an old Dr. Who Vinyl called "Revenge of the Daleks" there are a lot of great things to sample there.

9. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Dr. Who?

haha, yes I love the Doctor!:) :)

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    What about "Space 1999"???? I havent heard anyone mention "Space 1999"!! What's wrong with "Space 1999"???

[​IMG]

What about U.F.O.???? None of us would be here now were it not for S.H.A.D.O.'s valiant efforts!!

[​IMG]

And how could anyone possibly forget "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and their ever present "Sea-weed" beasts??

[​IMG]

(I think i just buried the needle on the Nerdometer!! :meh: )

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    But Dr. Who had Jelly Babies...

12. gawd, i went to italy one year ( i was five, so i don't remember much.) I just remember one day it was raining, so me and my dad just stayed in the hotel watching Space 1999 the entire day in italian. That was one cheesy show.

13. Bruce Lindfield

Didn't find out the Italian for 'umbrella', eh? ;)

14. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Agreed he was the one that I mostly grew up with - I thought he was the best by far! Although the one after him was good too (can't remember his name Peter someone...)

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

UFO and Space 1999 were real good as well! Although that third one was a big bit iffy!

I used to have an Eagle, and I had the SHADO Interceptor and SHADO Track 2 when I was a nipper!

16. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

...but I bet he can find it in the Oxford Music Dictionary.....;) :D

17. My god, but we are a nerdly bunch!

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Peter Davison.

19. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

That's the guy - he was married to Sandra Dickinson (I initially thought it was his surname, but it just didn't sound right....)