Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Any drum programs out there?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi!

Can anyone recommend some (hopefully free :D sawing up for the completion of my new rig, you know ;) ) program with which i can come up with some simple drum tracks to play along with or to record&mix with my bass recordings (just home PC level, so it doesnt need to be too sophisticated ;) )
    Thanks in advance!

2. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks!
    Already started to download it
    See how it works out

3. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Anvil Studio takes a while to get used to. Your first drum beats will sound like a drum machine, but once you get the hang of it with timing and changing the volume of the hits, you can make it sound very realistic.

4. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Fruity Loops ???

5. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
  6. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I don't know how easy it is to pull down off the web where you are.... ..(and I certainly wouldn't want to use these boards as a place to advocate software piracy)...
    ..but for home use, groove agent is really good fun to jam to- far more use than a metronome with it's easy to use front end. drum sounds are good enough tomplay with at home but when I try recording wiht them they just annoy me.

fruity loops is ok but pisses me off... .. drum sounds are a bit pants and not enough frills, and I never figured out how to divide the beats into anything bar 4/4.

Battery is has better sounding kits than groove agent but is not quite so user friendly in that it requires you writing out your pattern. It's not quite press play and go.

BFD is the one I'm trying to get up and running right now- but It deosn't quite seem to work, It's a monster sized program- 11 gigs so I'm really keen to find out how it sounds. .

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I just found this one, Buzzmachines ,but haven't had the time to figure if its worth .02 or not. This software is supposed to offer several types of instrument possibilities. I listened to some of the demo stuff on their site and it did't sound bad at all. We'll see.

I put a link so you can check it out yourself. I'll report on what I find out as soon as I get time to mess with it.

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Wow, I didnt see that I got so many replies - I was busy with Anvil - and so far it look like it works :D even though when installing it said there were problems with it and some programs. But it works, and its easy to use and to jam along with.
    Thanks for the tips, guys!!! :D :cool:

9. You just saved me $100, thanks!!

10. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    HammerHead is pretty cool...you can sequence or use sampled breakbeats. It's set up like a 6 channel mixer, blending beats is easy. I've imported HH slices into Fruity Loops with great results... http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/

11. I like PC drummer, but my only nic fit with it is that if you use the shareware version, You can't save. I would like to at least save when I'm too cheap to buy it.

12. Yep, I hear you. As for me, I like it well enough, though, that I may go ahead and invest in the Pro version.